fifteen

iris valentine

-

thanksgiving. a day that i did not expect to spend alone. my parents called and told me they'd fly over next week and said that we are gonna celebrate a late thanksgiving. i barely talked to anyone the whole break besides nessa. now i'm in bed, casually scrolling through social media and trying to find something to do.

i sit up from my bed and walk down the stairs to my kitchen. grabbing a small bowl from the cupboard, and a spoon from the drawers. i fill the bowl up with mashed potatoes i made earlier today and bring my food back into my room.

closing my door behind me, my phone starts to ring. i sit on my bed and check the caller i.d. before answering it.

"uh hey," i answered hesitantly as i took a bite of my mashed potatoes.

"hey, can we talk?" shawn's voice speaks and he clears his throat awkwardly.

"yeah... sure." i start to chew on my bottom lip and play with my food.

"yeah but is it okay if i call you tonight? i think my mom's calling me," he asks nicely and i just agree. sudden realization hits me and i mentally curse myself for forgetting that he flew out to see his family in canada. since they let him take a week off from work for thanksgiving, he decided to leave for a bit and spend time with his family even if it isn't the holidays there.

"sure! just call me whenever," he casually agreed before we said our goodbyes and hung up the phone.

to be honest, i haven't done anything this whole break besides go out to get groceries for a dinner that i didn't expect to have alone. i've eaten almost an entire "family serving" of mashed potatoes by myself while watching tv shows. i let out a breath as i stand up and look at myself in my full length mirror.

i am a mess. my hair was basically a nest that has fallen off a tree while i wear an oversized tee with a stain on it.

wow.

i start thinking of things i could do to keep myself busy and after a few minutes, i finally make up my mind.

i walk to the bathroom and try to make myself look more presentable. brushing my hair and putting a black nike headband on then washing my face. i brush my teeth and decide to leave my headband on. i exit my bathroom and head to my closet. i automatically reach in for a black UCB hoodie and black leggings and change into those.

i check myself in my mirror before getting my phone, wallet and keys before leaving. my hoodie came from jay about two or three years ago and it was my most prized possession. i loved it so much that i would wear it to bed during the winter and wear it out every chance i got.

i hop in my car and start driving to walmart. i would've gone to target but last time i checked, it's thanksgiving and they won't be open until 6pm for the black friday sale. i casually walked in without a cart, in hopes that i wouldn't but anything useless. walking around the aisles and wasting time by looking at almost everything in detail.

i ended up in the food section, looking at mac and cheese boxes with different shapes for noodles.

"you look mesmerized by mac and cheese," a deep voice says from beside me and i immediately snap out of my thoughts. "i'm sorry if i scared you, i didn't mean it." the tall guy puts his hands out in front of him defensively.

"i'm sorry, " i laughed as he did too. "i'm just wondering how they made these funky spongebob shapes for macaroni noodles," i say while grabbing a box and pointing it out. he laughs lightly as he takes his cap off to ruffle his brown hair and places it back on his head.

"i'm matt, i like your hoodie," he points to my berkley hoodie and i look down.

"thanks, a friend gave it to me, and i'm iris," i say while playing with the box of mac and cheese in my hand. "i like yours." realizing that he has a college hoodie as well.

his smile was cute. "well iris, i have to go, but hopefully i see you around? maybe wearing that same hoodie?" i nodded my head before saying bye to him. he walks away but turns around to wink before turning to another aisle.

i let out a breath and grabbed another box of mac and cheese and continued to roam around the place.

----

uhm hello! sorry for the delay but i've been pretty busy!! i'll try to update more and if u guys want to suggest anything feel free to message me!!

thank u for all ur support :) dont forget to vote and comment for the next chapter!! love u xx