The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos.(1)

2\23\09

Sweatpants used to be my friend. You know that one pair that you roll the waist band once and you still have a butt but they aren't too tight. Perfect length. Not too cold, not too hot. The perfect sweatpants that have seen you through everything, and have some wear and tear. As in that one random hole from the vicious washing machine. Stains from the late night binges with the buds. But were worth it.  

Though I can't pin all the blame on the Perfect Sweatpants, it didn't help that I didn't want to get dressed that morning and was rocking a tank top that could have been a size bigger. Throwing up my not yet washed hair in a pony tail. It all added to the embarrassment.  

When I heard the door bell ring, I pushed my lap top to the side of the couch and rushed to answer the door. Honestly I forgot about my attire. "Welcome Wagon." Said an unfamiliar voice. 

"Um.. Hello?" I asked a boy, probably the same age as me. He could probably see the confusion written clearly on my face. 

"Haven't you ever heard of the 'Welcome Wagon?'" He asked, raising his eyebrows briefly.  

"No, sorry. I don't move enough to become accustomed to the traditions." I joked lightly, forcing myself to look away from this kids face. His face was lightly structured, dark green eyes.. For the first time I noticed he was carrying something. "Fruit Cake?" I asked, the boy just shrugged. Then I figured it out, with a laugh I asked- "Okay, how much is your Mother paying you and how long do you have to be here?" I asked sarcastically. 

"Ten dollars, and fifteen- twenty minutes tops." He insisted with a sigh of relief, before slightly pushing his way through me into my living room.  

"C'mon in." I said, my sarcasm running strong.  

"We live across the street, my Moms probably patrolling as we speak." He warned playfully, closing the door behind him. "I'm Chase, by the way." Chase said, sticking his hand out to shake mine.  

"Hi, I'm Sylvia." I said, letting go of Chases' hand, leading him to the kitchen where he put the fruit cake on the counter. 

"I know it's polite and all to offer some fruit cake but please spare me." Chase begged, pleading with his eyes. 

"That bad?" I asked, and he laughed. "So do you do this often? Showing up unexpected at the new neighbors wielding bad Fruit cake?" 

"Actually no." Chase insisted, a smile still on his face. "But do you do this often?" He prompted. "Invite random boys into your house, when your wearing sweatpants and a tank top." 

"Hey! You invited yourself in, and you're the 'Welcome Wagon.' I thought sweatpants would be enough." I smiled. 

We stood there for a moment or two just staring at each other, in a good silence. 

Suddenly he broke it. 

"What would you do if I told you I bought that at a convenient store when I saw you pull up in the moving ban and named myself the 'Welcome Wagon' so I wouldn't look like a complete tool when I told you I just had to talk to you." A smile crept on my face at how open he was. 

"I'd tell you.. 'Too Late.'" We both started laughing.  

"Look, I just told you the one thing I promised myself I would never tell anyone and you call me a tool. Rude.. But give me something to go on so I don't feel completely stupid." 

"Uhm... What do you want to know?" I asked, it was hard being put on the spot like this. I never liked it. 

"Where did you move from?" 

"Lebnon."  

"Because?" 

"Money." I said simply. 

"Is that all you got?"  

"Well all you brought me was Fruit Cake. Maybe if you brought me some Double Stuffed Oreo Cookies you could have gotten more then two words." I smirked playfully, 

"I'll keep that in mind." Chase said sly fully.  

"Sounds good." I checked my imaginary watch. "Well, looked like your fifteen minutes are up..." I said slowly, leading him back to the door. "Come back when you have my Oreos." I said, shooing him out the door with a smile on my face. 

"Will do." He smiled as I started close the door with him still facing it. 

The was the beginning of the summer, and the start of my new life in a new town. Ofcourse I was afraid, and nervous, but I still had unpacking to do. All I knew was that the 'Welcome Wagon' was going to make everything interesting.