Transformation

Asuna and her friends beat the next couple of floors and raised their levels, clinging to the hope, that Kirito would surface soon. They couldn't believe he was gone, especially since his hp gauge was still there and green. Asuna also refused to give up on Kirito, for it was this game, that provided her, with the only hope she had left.

Everyday, she would check her friend rolster and make a note that he was still logged out. She felt hopeless with the thought that they killed him.

Today was different. She logged in and saw that Kirito was logged in. Even though, she didn't want him to be stuck inside this game again, she felt relief in knowing he was still alive IRL. 'What if he doesn't have a cursor? You can't think like that! Stay positive!' She remembered what Kirito had to say about that and she shook it off.

"Kirito is back! He is on floor 17!" Asuna showed a little too much excitement.

"How is that a good thing?" Leafa asked Asuna, knowing full well that their quest was to get him to logout.

"Well... uh... because we know where he is..." Asuna spoke sheepishly, trying to avoid confessing to her decision to keep certain details hidden from them.

"I'm with Leafa. Every moment he is logged out, is another moment he could be found IRL." Sinon pressed.

"I know but... now we know he's alive, right?" Asuna continued to try to cover up, that she was withholding information.

"Let's just find him already. He's here. Guess, we'll just have to protect him again!" Klein pounded his own chest.

A notice popped up in front of them. 'Dissolving Party.' Kirito's health bar disappeared from theirs.

"Why would he do that?" Asuna cried in fear and frustration. "He knows how important it is to us, that we stay together!" Her eyes filled with confusion.

"We stayed here long enough. We need to go." Sinon urged.

They nodded and pulled out their teleport crystals.

_________________________________

They appeared on floor 17, as planned and saw that everyone was gathered in the center. As they drew near, they heard Kirito's voice and they pushed their way through the crowd.

"... As I only had a minute to react, I dove in and ripped it's teeth out and cut its throat with them. Who said you can't fight unarmed!" Kirito bragged to the crowd.

"Kirito! Join up with us! We could plunder floor 18 no problem, with your help!" A few guys called out to him.

"Nah... You aren't worthy to be fighting by my side." Kirito gloated.

"We could! We defeated the boss on floor 14 in under ten minutes!"

"Thanks, but I work solo." Kirito shrugged off another group. "Solo now and forever. Sorry."

"You still plan to fight solo, after everything you have been through?! What has gotten into you?!" Asuna wrenched on Kirito's arm, yanking him from his 'fans'.

"You aren't my master. I chose what path I take." Kirito defended.

"We have been trying to protect you, don't you get it." Asuna roared.

"I don't need protection, even if you're supposed to be my guardian angel! I don't need you! I don't need anyone!" Kirito wrenched his arm from her strong grip. "Got it!"

"K-iri-to...?" Her eyes grew wide and she felt a pain in her heart.

"So you don't think anyone is strong enough to beat you?" Sinon accused, using reverse psychology on Kirito.