Mother and Son

Kazuto and Asuna woke the next day, with their arms wrapped around each other. They were glad that it wasn't a dream. Kazuto stretched out and got out of bed, while Asuna just smiled at him.

"I don't seem to recall getting into bed, can you?" Asuna was obviously half asleep or something.

"I can't either." Kazuto's face turned pink. "You don't think..." He doesn't remember drinking alcohol.

"Where would we get something like that. It isn't like the guard would give it to us."

"Vari..."

"I don't think it was like that. We would be suffering a hangover."

"True." Kazuto slid his finger to access his menu, but it didn't pop up. "Oh right. It comes as second nature. Has it really been that long?" Kazuto felt a little embarrassed.

"It has. I want things to go back to the way they were. When our biggest concern was getting Yui to the real world."

"Now she is."

"At what cost? What price do we have to pay for living in our fantasies?"

"We're safe here. I still don't think we should be that worried."

"Okay, Mr. Easy Going. Anyway, I will make breakfast."

"Can I help?"

"You want to cook?"

"You make it sound, like I've never done it before. I may not have any cooking skills in game, but I know a thing or two."

"Alright, then you can cut the onions." Asuna mused.

"Onions...? For breakfast?" Kazuto wasn't very thrilled about that.

"I was planning something special."

"Fine..." Kazuto stood up and they made their way to the kitchen.

They briefly noticed the snow falling outside and hoped that Vari was back. They didn't want to go trudging in the snow, looking for her. Assuming they would even be permitted to do so. Their attention immediately turned to the guards in the other room. The guards weren't in a panic, so that was a good sign. They saw her coat on the hanger and felt relieved.

"Vari must still be asleep. I wonder when she came back. I think we were already asleep, by then." Asuna pulled out the necessary ingredients from the fridge. She laid it out on the counter and handed Kazuto the onions.

"What was she doing, anyways? There isn't much to do around here." Kazuto pulled out the knife and cutting board and started to chop them.

"If you must know... Kazuto...yawn... I was getting our AmuSphere rigs." Vari entered the kitchen.

"You mean, you have them?" Asuna became ecstatic, while she was preparing some eggs and potatoes. She was going to be able to see Yui again.

"Yep. We should dive after breakfast... I didn't know you cook, Kazuto." Vari smiled teasingly.

"You make it sound hard." Kazuto continued to cut the onions.

Vari watched as Kazuto's eyes started to water. "Don't cry... I was only kidding."

"Not funny." Kazuto wanted to wipe his eyes, but knew they would burn even more, if he did.

"Can I help, Asuna? I would love to learn to cook, the way you do." Vari approached her.

"I would be honoured. You can start with melting the butter on medium heat." Asuna smiled at Kazuto, as if saying 'she isn't all that bad'.

"Not yet. But you'll see." Kazuto mused.