Chapter 10 ~ A Little Less Conversation

Chapter 10

A Little Less Conversation

    I traipsed slowly back toward, where I now knew my tent to be. From ten feet away I could see a weary looking Estel leaning against the frame. Not looking where I was heading I stubbed my toe on a tent peg and made my presence known by swearing in pain. Estel looked up quickly.

“And where have you been?” Estel said, jumping up from where he sat, leaning against the tent. He looked agitated and worried.

“Why is your camp site so bloody big?” I retaliated. I stormed beside him and sat down, leaning on the tent.

“I can see you’re in a good mood.” Estel said, looking a lot less agitated. He sat down beside me and faced the fire pit.

“I know right. Can’t you tell?” I asked sarcastically. He chuckled and rolled his eyes.

“What took you so long?” He asked in a curious but reprimanding voice. 

“Why don’t you ask the Prince?” I grimaced.

“You don’t mean you were with him the entire time do you?” I shook my head.

“No, I was lost for a good hour.” I said. He looked at me oddly.

“Our camp site isn’t actually that big. There are only about five hundred men and two to each tent.” I grimaced and he laughed. “Only you could get lost for an hour in two hundred and fifty tents.” I laughed too.

“Hey, that’s not fair. I was disoriented from the severe blow to the head.” At this Estel quieted immediately.

“Hey,” He said softly, “He didn’t mean to. If he knew you, he wouldn’t have done it.” He looked at me remorsefully.

“I was only joking, Estel. Don’t you go getting all weepy.” I said, jabbing him in the ribs.

“I was not weepy!” He cried indignantly.

“Were to. Maybe more than just your name is girly.” I laughed and he smiled.

“You make me laugh Alana.” He said and stood up. He held out his hand, offering to help me up. “Come, they are serving dinner near the center of camp.” I hauled myself up and brushed the dirt of the back of my pants.

“Alright, as long as I don’t get lost again.” I said. He smiled and put his hand on my back to steer me forwards.

“Don’t worry, you’re safe with me.” And in that moment, for the first time in a while, I felt it.

~ ~

Estel and I walked back from dinner, chatting and laughing.

“And that’s why-“ I said, laughing so hard I was close to tears, “I decided to paint all the apples in the orchard gold!” I said. We laughed loudly.

He opened his mouth to say something when a soldier, clad for battle came running up to us. Estel looked at him suspiciously.

“Yes, Officer McCarvill?” Estel stood at attention.

“Sir Norbury, we are under attack.”

~ ~ Ooooooh. Cliff hanger! Sorry guys for not updating sooner!!! My mum has been nagging me sooo much because she thinks 'All you ever do is sit on your computer!' And then says 'I know you're writing some of the time and I don't want to take you away from it but it would be nice to see you ocaisionally'.

*sigh* Don't worry mini rant over. I have spent a lot of time QFTing (quality family time) and so writing is hard. HOWEVER the comments from... @Promise1982 @K2tsukas @JUSTREADIT and as always @windstallion made me want to update sooner. So here I am at 8 in the morning, while my parents are asleep, writing this to you.

Anyways thanks for reading! Ciao! ~ ~