Chapter 15 ~ Payback

Chapter 15

Payback

I barely registered the sound of Éomer shouting at the men. “Find the King’s son!” He barked at the men. They immediately slid off their horses and started to look. I turned over yet another body and grimaced, but with relief. It wasn’t Estel.

With each new body I saw hope and despair grew and gnawed at me from the inside. I laid this body back down and moved to the one next to it. This body was kind of separated from the rest of them but looked no less slaughtered and covered in blood. He was about the size of Estel and my breath hitched in my throat.

He was crumpled awkwardly on hi stomach with his limbs underneath him. ‘Poor booger probably died painfully’ I thought. I bent down and gently rolled him onto his back.

His short chestnut hair was drenched with blood from a wound on his forehead. He was so young he looked younger than I would be if I were human. My frown deepened and I shook my head sadly. I turned to move to the next body when I froze.

I could see him. He was lying only a few bodies away from me. It was Estel. He was lying on his back, and his entire midsection was covered in blood. His face was emotionless and he stared blankly at the sky with his mouth open.

“Estel!!!” I ran towards him clumsily. I went as fast as I could with all the bodies I had to dodge or leap over. The closer I got the worse he looked. The blood on his body was coming from a gash on his chest. The gash wasn’t deep, but I could still see a bit of his rib. Blood still oozed slowly from the cut making a somewhat small puddle of blood around him. His leg was also red though from what I could not tell.

I was so focused on his injuries that I miscalculated how high I had to jump to get over the two bodies underneath me. My foot caught the body and dragged my down like an anchor. I landed on top of the body one before Estel.

I winced and grimaced at the same time, the blood from the soldier’s wounds started to seep through my pants as I had braced my fall with my knees. I could not spare any more time, these were the distractions that cause the deaths of many. I got up hastily and stepped over him carefully, apologizing to the man’s carcass under my breath. A few of the guards nearest me looked at me like I was crazy, but I paid the no attention.

I dropped down beside Estel’s motionless figure and sat on my knees, not even trying to avoid the puddle of blood. 

“Estel?” I whispered. My vision started to blur but I was already on autopilot, a few tears weren’t going to stop me. I leaned forward and put my head on his chest for a few seconds. There was nothing.

“No. Please, no!” I sniffed. I pushed my head harder against his warm chest, listening hard for the sign of life, the beat of determination. There was nothing again. I pulled back but kept my hand over his heart.

“No! Please Estel! Please! Don’t die!” The tears were now flowing down my face and there was no stopping them. I lifted Estel’s upper half and placed his head gently on my lap. I stroked his hair gently.

“Estel? Come on, please! You can’t die.” His face was upside down from my perspective but I could still immediately recognize his features. His angled jaw, his light pink lips and his dark brown eyes framed by those gorgeous eyelashes of his. Even though his eyes now stared into space, looking at nothing. My tears dripped of my face and landed on his forehead. He blinked and I did a double take. Corpses didn’t blink. Hope surged through me, warming up my icy thoughts.

“Estel?” Underneath my hand I felt a twitch, the sign of life I was looking for. His heart beat! It was weak and I half-doubted I even felt anything but I wasn’t going to let him die. With a new determination, I sniffed back the tears and got to work immediately.

“You saved me Estel so I’m not going to let you die. Consider it a chance for payback.” I whispered. The worst wound of his was by far the gash on his chest so I attacked that first. I grabbed the knife on my belt and slit the stitching holding his leather tunic together. I ripped it off and flung it to the side. I tore open his button down tunic, revealing his well-toned chest. I didn’t even bat an eye, that’s how focused I was.

I slid my bag from my shoulders and dug through it. I growled in frustration. Where was it? It had to be in my bag.

Finally my fingers found what I was looking for and I clasped it tightly. I drew it out and pushed my bag aside, unfortunately causing it to land in the puddle of blood. I grimaced for half a second before turning my attention to the small bottle in my palm.

The silver swirls that caged the blue glass were all as beautiful as I remembered. It was also as beautiful as the Elf who had given it to me. The salve inside was more powerful than anything I had ever owned before. ‘It can save lives. Use it carefully.’ Her voice echoed through my head.

~ ~ Dearly beloveds, you inspire me. LOVE YOU GUYS! All the votes and comments were awesome. I tried to make this a little longer than the last one, so here you go. Shout out to these people for really making my day; @K2tsukas @Kaitie_Michelle322 and @TearsofBlackandGold. Thanks guys. Anyways, Keep reading! ~ ~