Chapter 30: Part IV

This is almost the end guys!! I can't believe I'm actually going to finish this story! Well here's the new chapter, and the next one is going to be posted on Friday or sooner. As usual, please comment and let me know what you think. And if you like, go ahead and give it a vote! Enjoy!

........................................................

After an hour of searching for Gray, you were beginning to get worried that something might be seriously wrong. You're used to him getting distant when he's upset, but usually he doesn't hide out like this, so where was he? And it was starting to rain—as if you weren't feeling bad enough already.  In any case, you didn't want to stay in the rain for too long and you were already getting cold. You were close to Natsu and Lucy's place, but they were probably still at the guild. Even so, it was worth a shot; after all, Lucy and Gray were pretty close friends.

But before you reached her apartment, a strange scent drew your attention to an alleyway lined with crates filled with flowers and other sorts of decorations. With all the talk of engagements, you had completely forgotten that the town's harvest festival was in two days. You'd be too busy tomorrow to patch things up with Gray, so it had to happen by tonight. You were about to leave the alley when you caught the sound of something moving by the empty crates that lined the walls. You crept toward it slowly, keeping your senses alert. As you got closer to the boxes, you heard what sounded like a child crying. Carefully you took the lid off of the biggest box to find a ball of matted fur. The cat looked up at you, eyes wide with fear and tears streaking her dirty face. An exceed!

"Are you alright?" You asked the small cat.

She examined you curiously with big (f/c) eyes. "You're not one of them, are you?" Her voice sounded fierce, even though she was trembling with fear.

"One of who? Is someone after you?" Before she said anything, your question was answered when two large men came running in your direction.

"Get back here! We're gonna make a fortune off of you!" One man yelled. You didn't know what was going on, but you could tell these guys were not to be trusted. You assumed a fighting stance.

"Excuse me miss," the other man called, "have you seen a cat run by here?" Confused, you glanced down at the crate only to find that the exceed was no longer there. She was just here...

You shrugged. "Sorry, I haven't seen her," you told them. They thanked you before running off again.

"That was close," a voice spoke. Looking down, you saw the small cat back in the crate.

"How did you...?"

"We have to go, before they come back!" She jumped onto your shoulder and ushered you forward. You didn't know her, but you decided to help anyways and began running towards the guild.

"Wait a second!" One of the men shouted. "How did you know we were looking for a girl cat?!" Crap!

"Get her!" The other shouted. You turned around and blasted flames at the wooden crates so that they fell over and blocked the men's path.

"Nice one!" The cat exclaimed once we were out of the alley. "I totally knew you were a wizard!"

"How could you tell?" You asked.

"Just a feeling," she replied. "I'm Kami, by the way." Before you could respond, you heard the men from before running after you. A metal cuff attached to a chain wrapped around your wrist, pulling you back.

"You didn't tell me these guys are wizards too!" You shouted at Kami while you used your free hand to melt the chain. The metal suppressed magic from your other hand. You managed to break the chain, but the cuff around your wrist stayed.