Chapter 6

"So why was she looking at your undergarments?" Frost asked as he went and pulled a chair up to Jane's desk.

"I was late waking up. I was asleep on the couch saw I had fifteen minutes until Maura got there so I stripped and just tossed my clothes where ever as I ran up the stairs naked, to get into a shower. I didn't have time to clean up because after I finished in the shower she was already there. So I went to open the door in a towel." Jane smiled.

"I wish I could've seen this." Frost laughed.

"I then told Maura I had to change so I went upstairs and came back and she was holding my boxers in her hand. She said she didn't like the mess so was trying to clean up." Jane said.

"Oh." Frost tapped his fingertip to his lip. 

The rest of the day went by pretty quick. They got another body this time of a young woman who was sexually assaulted and then killed. No DNA was left behind. Maura stayed to do the autopsy. 

Jane stood in the elevator before she finally hit the button to the basement. Jane got out and walked into Maura's work area. She was finishing up.

"Did you find anything?" Jane asked.

"No." Maura frowned. "Nothing."

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" Jane questioned.

"I can't tonight." Maura frowned.

"Oh." Jane looked down. 

"I seriously would love to." Maura smiled. "I...It's just that Karen is waiting on me."

"It's alright." Jane forced a smile.

Jane went back to the elevator and heading back upstairs. She walked outside the air was cold.

"Jane wait up." Maura said as she came running out in her heels.

"What?" Jane said.

"I wanted to ask if you were free tomorrow?" Maura said.

"I should be." Jane said.

"Did you want to get lunch?" Maura asked.

"I would like that." Jane smiled. 

Jane watched as Maura got into her car and left. Jane got into her truck and headed home. When Jane got home she noticed that her door to her house was opened. Frowning she pulled her gun from the holster and started up the steps. Her heart pounding in her chest.

Jane pushed the door opened and tried flipping on the light switch. Nothing. Jane pulled out her phone and texted Frost. She went through the house room by room to find nothing. Just over turned furniture. Papers laid about. The only thing that was in there was a picture of Maura. Picking it up Jane seen the paper that was taped to the back of it.

It was a note: Dear Jane, Stay away from Maura or else.  What was the or else suppose to me? How was Jane suppose to stay away from her? Frost soon pulled up and Jane took a seat outside.

"So what is going on?" Frost asked.

Jane didn't say anything but handed him the note. Frost looked it over.

"Who sent this?" Frost asked.

"I really don't know." Jane said.

"We can't let this person get away with it." Frost said.

"I know. I can't risk what the or else could be though." Jane said.

"Jane since when did you ever get scared of anything." Frost said.

"I care for her Frost. I couldn't risk anything happen to her." Jane said.

"She's going to figure out that you were avoiding her." Frost frowned. "Then what?"

"I know." Jane frowned.

"Come stay with me tonight and we can clean this place up later." Frost said.

Jane nodded her head as she went inside to pack up a bag. She came back down and Frost took the bag from her. 

"I got a pull out couch you can stay on." Frost said. "Unless you want to share a bed with me." Frost laughed.

"No the couch is fine." Jane said.

Putting the bag in the trunk of the car Frost watched as Jane got in. He knew this was going to emotional mess with Jane just because of the feelings she had for Maura. Frost didn't like seeing his best friend like this. Closing the trunk he went and got into the drivers seat.

"I was thinking if you haven't eaten maybe we can go get something to eat." Frost said.

"Okay." Jane sighed.

Pulling out of the driveway Jane looked out the window.