CH1: Storm

"Max!" I shriek across campus, hoping he'd catch a glimpse of me. No luck. I pout, watching him catch up to Danny and Jordan, while I stand under the pouring rain with nothing but my AP World History textbook shielding me from the storm above. Just perfect.

I ignore the fact that I was soaking wet and stumble back inside the school, fumbling into the girl's bathroom.

I seize hold of my beauty case, pulling it out of my backpack and locating my waterproof mascara.

Slowly, reapplying a thin layer atop my bright hazel eyes; then pulling out concealer and dabbing it gently on my nicely tanned skin.

I smile at my reflection in the mirror, hovering over the floral shirt and black leggings I decided on wearing hours earlier.

Though I was huddled inside, I could still hear the pattering of rain hitting the roof of the building and the thunder overhead.

Since when did thunderstorms ever come to California? Sure, LA was near the coast, but we never got any of this!

Plus, technically it was now the summer; that's not even part of the rainy season. Was the world coming to an end already?

Today was the last day of my Freshman year-but also the last day I'd see Danny and Jordan at school. Because you see, the school year was officially over, and now I, Camille, would finally be a Sophomore when school would start back up in September.

But sadly, I had to spend the rest of the day shivering in the rain, along with the rest of the students who needed a ride home.

I shake my head slightly, clearing the thoughts that were already pouring into it.

Slowly, I find myself leaving the restroom and heading out to the jammed hallway.

A few of my friends call my name, waving as I pass by them. Maneuvering around the swarming flock of people, I managed to make it to where my locker was located.

I spun the combo slowly, my hands still frozen from the 'shower' going on outside. Surprisingly, it opened and I stuffed the remainder of whatever was left into my empty backpack; because as they said, everything must go, since this was the starting of my three-month summer break.

I push a stray piece of my long brunette hair out of my face, and slide my iPhone out of my back pocket, while dialing Max's number. pick up, pick up, pick up.

"Where are you?" Max says, clearly on speaker phone.

"I don't know-inside, right by my locker?" I groan.

"Calm down, we're at Danny's car right now."

"Do I really have to walk all the way over there," I mourn, already trampling over to the halt of students waiting by the doors.

"You can run," Max laughs, the splattering of raindrops following his voice.

"Gee, what a great idea," I sarcastically snicker.

"Hurry up though," he finishes.

"Damn, alright I'm coming," I end the call, poking my head outside to examine the situation.

I shiver at the unusual cold. I could feel goosebumps rippling down the side of both my arms and legs, as I secretly wished I would have brought a thicker jacket to school today.

I sigh, knowing I would have to make a sprint for it sooner or later . . . might as well make it now.

I take a deep breath and run through the puddles of rain on the cement beneath me, the heavy rain splashing my body in seconds.

I spot Danny's car, followed by all three of MinecraftFinest and I smile at the sight. I dash in that direction, thunder cracklings over me and lightning purging in the distance.

"Camille." Jordan wails, pulling me into a tight hug.

"I've had a hell of a day." I sigh, hugging him back.

"I can tell." Jordan laughs, freeing me from him, as he opens the passenger door for me.

I slide in, watching Danny get into the driver's seat beside me. I turn around to the back seats, admiring both Jordan and Max fussing at each other already.

"So Max?" I ask, trying to stop the meaningless arguing.

"What now?" He answers.

"Uh-your shirt, yeah I like it."

"So I'm sexy now?" Max joked, as both Jordan and Danny snickered.

"You wish." I retorted, shaking my head.

But before Max could answer, I cut him off, "I know I just got here, but could we please move the car, it's freezing."

"Don't rush me, woman." Danny answers, starting the car up just as thunder rumbles once again.

The car radio starts and we all smile at the familiar song playing.

"Whose house?" I ask.

"Danny's," both Max and Jordan answer in unison, as I nod, the car slowly leaving the parking lot.

"Can you guys believe it?" I say, almost as a whisper.

"What?" Jordan replies.

"You and Danny aren't high schoolers anymore."

Danny sighs, "I know."

"At least you still have me," Max chimes in.

"Mhm," I answer, grateful that Max was my age. We're both 16 years old, yet he's about 6' foot and I'm merely 5'5.

"Screw high school," Jordan utters quietly.

"Language," Max exclaims, laughing. I shake my head slightly, letting out a giggle at his comment.

-the pack of palm trees around us started swaying ferociously, it seemed as if they would snap and tumble any second.

With one swift motion, I snapped off the radio. I was starting to get a headache, yet it was distracting me from the rain pelting down from the sky.

The windshield wipers were on the highest setting, but that didn't make it any easier to see.

I hesitated to speak, noticing Danny was concentrated on driving through this storm.

A bright flash of lightning lit up the sky, making Danny clutch the steering wheel tighter. Then, a low rumble of thunder followed, heightening my sense of unease.

I clench my jaw, letting my hands rest on my lap. We all silently watch the road, hoping we wouldn't slide off course. But this thunder storm wasn't making it any easier.