CH4: We're Not Dating

I look out the backseat window of Danny's the car and after noticing this was my stop, I trample over Max's body, scurrying to get to my house.

But just as one of my hands clutch the doorknob and the other rustles my bag for the key, I hear Max's footsteps running after me.

"Wait, Camille?" I hear Max say, quickly slamming the car door shut and sprinting after me, "If you wouldn't mind, I want to catch a movie and if you'd want to come . . . that'd be great?"

I hesitate not knowing what to say. Was he asking me out?

"Sure, what time?" I smile, turning around to face him.

"Around 9 tonight, I'll come by your house," Max replies, returning the welcoming smile.

Was he serious? What happened to the 'I'm so tough and I hate you' kind of Max?

I nod, awkwardly trudging into the empty home.

I glance up at the clock, sighing at the time. It was already seven and I had to get ready for the movie.

I limp over to my room, rustling my closet for something decent to change into. My hands lightly fondling over any possibility.

I flinch at the delicate black lace fabric of an a-line dress in front of me. It was simple and sexy, but classy and gentle at the same time.

I tug at the hanger, gradually pulling the dress out and wiggling my body into it.

After grabbing a pair of black ballet flats and checking my appearance in the mirror, I hear the doorbell echo, signaling that Max was here.

I hastily fetch a cream cardigan and dash to the door.

"Hey," I say, clearly out of breath.

"Hey," Max replies, examining my body slowly.

I don't know what to say, I'm not good at starting conversations--I'm not good with words. I never know exactly what to say, or when to say it. I'm one of those people who would rather be in utter silence, then talk about random shit that no one cares about.

"Are we gonna get going?" Max mumbles, breaking not only the silence, but my thoughts.

"Oh--yeah sorry," I reply shyly, stepping out of the house and locking the door.

♡ ♡ ♡

Once we finally arrived at the movie theater, Max purchases two tickets and a large popcorn.

We walk into the theater without speaking, find seats, and wait as the movie starts.

"Wait a second, Max . . ." I start, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, "is this a horror movie? You know how much I hate them."

He laughs, turning to me with a breathtaking smile.

"Indeed it is, I picked it just for you."

"I hate you," I whine, hitting him softly on the shoulder.

"I know . . ." He answers, as the lights dimmed, signaling that the frightful movie was starting.

I hide my face into Max's chest, already petrified at the screen. I really hate horror movies.

♡ ♡ ♡

"Never again!" I exclaim, following Max out of the theater and into the lobby.

"Come on, it wasn't that bad," he reassures me, while holding the door open.

"No it really was that bad," I repeat, catching up to Max until we were walking side by side.

He laughs, looking down at the floor for a split-second; and I quickly realized why as he took my hand into his, intertwining our fingers.