Chapter 14

(This chapter was written out and I thought it was a little bit to graphic the way I wrote it so I tried to desensitize it a bit but I hope you all like it!)

'Good luck....'

The last thing Ash heard before the slamming door. He looked up from the pillow that he was once resting ever so gently upon and slowly craned his neck to look at the door to his room. Though his room is dark, he can see the light seeping through from the gap between it and the floor. He could see shadows quickly passing back and forth from either side of the door frame.

One seemed to chase the other....

Ash had decided to get up to investigate. It was his home after all, who would be running back and forth in the kitchen? And who would slam a door at this hour?

Using the light that seeped in, he tried to locate amd bypass the objects of his room. He could make out the dresser in the corner and the medal trim of the toy chest next to the door seemed to glow in the low light. He was careful to watch his steps to avoid stubbing a toe on something.

As he slowly paced towards the door, he could her that whatever seemed to be on the other side of the door was making a lot of noise, though inaudible from his bed, was now undeniably loud compared to the once dead silence of the night.

He placed his hand on the cold metal of the door handle and slowly turned it. Immediately more light poured into his room and temporarily blinded him. He forced his eyes shut as he tried to adjust to quickly, temporarily blinding him. He waited a few seconds with his eyes closed, relying solely on his sense of hearing to follow the source of the disturbance of peace and quiet.

As he waited he heard the sounds stopp. Everything was dead quiet again. His eyes still closed he had no clue what happened. And then a slap.

It sounded almost as if someone had popped a balloon. Sudden. Loud. So quick to pass that it was hard to identify what the source could have been. He opened his eyes to see something that he would block out of his memory of his childhood for the rest of his life.

His eyes first focused on the mess that was once the floor. Mom and Mr. Mime kept the house so clean so how could this have happened? There was remnants of the supper that mom had prepared and papers scattered everywhere. The refrigerator door was hanging wide open.

The dining table sat in the middle of the kitchen/dining room. The wooden table top was half covered by a red table cloth. One of the four chairs was tipped to its side while the other three were pushed neatly under the table. Resting upon the table was a small glass that looked like it might be able to hold only one drink at a time while next to it was a tall skinny bottle. It had a small amount of dark brown liquid in it.

Behind the table, pushed up against the wall, was his mother. Her hair was let down and seemed to frizz out in every direction. Her right cheek was bruised and her eyes... her eyes were bloodshot and her face streaking with tears.

Standing in front of her was his father. Hunched over, leaning on the counter with his right arm while holding another one of those glass bottles in his left. He was seemingly chugging the liquid as quickly as he could. He seemed to wobble even though he was braced against the counter. He wore jeans with a white button up shirt. The shirt was untucked and the one nicely made up tie was now hanging loosely around his neck. He had the same raven black hair as Ash but it was kept to a close cut.