26. Close call

~

My eyes slowly narrowed open, the light in my bedroom creeping in. It made my head ache a little but it didn't stop me from waking up completely. I still didn't move though. Shifting a little my position, I moved my head to the left to look at Ava.

But she wasn't there.

Quickly I glanced at right also to check if she was there, but she always slept on my left side. So of course she wasn't there. I hastled, sitting upwards, breathing quickly.

What if she left? What if she regretted everything what happened last night and left? Did I do something wrong? Did I go too far?

But then, thank God, I heard the tap in my bathroom open and water running down the sink. I sighed from relief and fell backwards to lay down comfortably again.

I just hoped with all my heart and everything, that this time nothing bad would happen that would ruin the effort I did for us last night. We had a baby coming, or at least I was hoping so. Ava still hadn't confirmed if she wanted to keep the baby but what she let me do last night, kind of told me the answer to that question. We needed to keep our shit together from now on. I needed to keep my shit together. For the sake of us.

The bathroom door opened and a petite, mexican woman walked out, wearing nothing but her grey Nike sweater. Her legs shone beautifully, her muscles tensing up on every step she took.

God, I missed looking at her. You know the feeling? The feeling you get when looking at something so perfect? When the pit of your stomach tingles and you just want to have your hands all over that perfection? Yeah, that was what I was feeling at the moment. And I just couldn't get it out of my system. But at the same time, I really didn't want to.

Ava strode towards the bed and slowly climbed next to me, still sitting though. I turned my head to her and carefully placed my hand on her thigh. It felt amazing to know that she didn't avoid my touch anymore. She wanted me close.

For now.

"You okay?" I asked her, licking my lips at the same time.

She nodded as she flashed a small smile to me before scratching her belly.

I sighed, quietly, thinking about what should I say to her. We were talking but we weren't really talking about anything specific. A part of me wanted to ask her so many questions but then again I didn't want answers to all of my questions. I just wanted to stay quiet and enjoy the long awaited silence between us. A good kind of silence, of course. The silence we both enjoyed. The words we said weren't full of hatred anymore. The silence upon us was full of hope.

I looked down at her stomach, thinking hard.

"About yesterday..." I started.

I had to say something. As much as I loved peace and silence, there was so many things that needed to be said before we could continue our lives, hopefully together.

Ava didn't interrupt me from bringing this subject up which meant that she was okay with us talking about it.

"I uhm... I think we both said things just out of pure anger, at least I hope so..." I mumbled, remembering what she said to me about me being a father.

It still haunted me a little...

"Justin, what I said was completely pointless." her voice was soft and lingered around my body like a kind spirit, "I could never- I don't know what got into me."

She looked down at her hands that moved over mine, grabbing it into hers.

I believed her. What she said was pointless and she was just angry that made her say such things. After all she was confused and scared about her situation. Hell, I would be too. So I guess I needed to cut her some slack and understand what she was feeling.