Chapter Eight: Ghost World

Holly woke up slowly when she heard Damon hissing her name. "Holly, Holly wake up!"

Her eyes flew open when she saw Damon, he was tied up in a chair and the ropes were laced with vervain. She sat up and quickly began untying the ropes, not caring that the vervain hurt her. "What happened? Who snapped my neck?"

"Mason, ow," Damon hissed.

"Mason?" Holly frowned. "Mason's dead."

Damon winced. "Something tells me he's not if Matt could talk to Vicki, what if Mason paid a ghostly visit? We need to talk to the witch."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Half an hour later, Damon and Holly drove towards town to find Caroline and Bonnie. "We have a problem." Holly blurted out.

"What kind of problem?" Bonnie blurted out.

"Mason Lockwood snapped Holly's neck and he tied me up to a chair with vervain to torture me," Damon snapped. "I'm having déjà vu."

Caroline frowned. "I thought ghosts couldn't interact with people."

"They can't. Maybe a spell can fix it."

While the girls and Damon argued, Holly got out of the car and saw Matt. "I'll be right back."

When Matt saw her, he pretended to be busy. Holly hesitated. "Matt, we need to talk please. I know you know about me. . .and I know that you know what I did to Vicki and I'm sorry that I never told you, I swear I didn't want to kill her, it was an accident. . .I'm really sorry Matt. Please forgive me."

Matt finally looked up. His eyes looked sad. "It just sucks that you didn't tell me before, I thought we were closer than that." He hesitated. "And I'm sorry Vicki tried to kill you."

"Well, I didn't die so that's good," she said dryly as she turned back to Damon. "I need to go, but bye and. . .Thank you."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Bonnie had decided to try a spell to make the veil go up, but since she hadn't had much practice with it, things had gone from bad to worse quickly. Elena pushed the door open of the bathroom and saw Jeremy kissing Anna.

"Jeremy!" Elena took a step back, clearly shocked.
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Stefan had been walking down the street, when he saw a familiar face in a store mirror. He turned around and a blond stared back at him. "Lexi?"
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Holly and Damon were just ordering at the Grill when a familiar face appeared. "Hello, Holly," Mason knocked a glass against Damon's head. "Hello, Damon."

"Let's get to it," Damon groaned as he started pulling out the pieces. "You want revenge."

"No," Mason said. "I need an apology and I need to help Tyler."

"Bad news, buddy as long as Klaus is alive, Tyler is a mindless robot. Oh, and you can forget about the apology."

"I know of a weapon that can kill Klaus," Mason smirked, "But first I need your apology."

Damon groaned. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Damon, this may be our chance to kill Klaus, just apologize," Holly snapped.

"Fine don't get all bossy." Damon's lips curled. "Fine, I didn't have to kill you, I do a lot of things I don't need to do." Holly rolled her eyes.

Meson laughed. "You two meet me at the Lockwood cellar, bring a shovel and don't bring anyone else."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
"I'm surprised you two showed," Mason said cheerfully as they walked through the old ruins of the Lockwood cellar. "You must be desperate."

"You could say that," Holly pushed her hair back into a ponytail. "We lost our only lead."

"Yeah, Mikael I know."

"How do you know so much?" Damon asked annoyed.

Mason shrugged. "On the other side there is not much to do." He paused. "There is this old legend that the Lockwood's knew how to kill Original vampires, but like most of their secrets they kept it hidden in these caves." He started to use the shovel to break down the wall.

Damon took the shovel from him. "Let me do it." With a few easy taps the walls broke down. He stepped back. "You go first."

"Still not trusting me, huh?" Mason said dryly as he stepped inside and Damon and Holly followed as they walked deep into the caves. "Though you should because I know that as long as we have the same motives you won't hurt me and I know you will do everything for your brother."

They stopped short when they saw two sides. "All right flip a coin, let's see where we go?"

Holly raised an eyebrow. "I thought you knew everything."

"I'm a ghost, not God. Just pick one."

"Fine," she said. "Left."

Damon gripped the flashlight and as soon as he stepped inside stakes jabbed him in the stomach and back. "Ow, help a brother out, Mason?"

"Damon," Holly rushed towards him. "I'll get them out." She watched Mason leave. "Though it might take a while."

"Ow, Holly be careful!" Damon tried not to snap as Holly removed the third stake. "This is not exactly painless."

"I'm trying." She huffed, when she saw Mason retuning with a shovel. "You came back."

"Yep," Mason removed the stakes with the shovel. "I thought this would be easier."

"I killed you, man." Damon gasped. "Why are you being like this? I don't believe this whole buddy act."

Mason said calmly. "Do you know what the other Side is like? It's lonely, there you forget about things like revenge and you start focusing on what's important. I don't need revenge, Damon I need redemption. Now come on."

They reached the end of the tunnels, but only Mason was allowed to go through and not Holly and Damon. "We're stuck," Holly groaned. "It keeps vampires from going in."

"Wait!" Damon yelled when Mason started walking.

"I'm not stopping because you're stuck," he grinned. "Looks, like you're going to have to trust me."

He walked further and his face slowly filled with wonder. "It's-" he broke off when he disappeared.

"No," Holly whispered. "The veil must be back up. He's gone."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
"What took you so long?" Damon asked Alaric once he meet him back at the tunnels.

"Damon!" Holly scolded.

Alaric shook his head. "Don't worry he always talks to me like that." He went inside and didn't speak for a moment.

"Well?" Damon asked annoyed. "Did you find anything? Was Mason lying?"

"I did find something." Alaric said as he overlooked the strange drawings on the walls.

"What?"

"I have no idea."