Chapter Twelve: Our Town

"Pink." Holly told Elena the following morning at school. Today was Caroline's birthday and they were decorating her locker to surprise her. "She will definably like pink glitter."

"Hey, sorry I'm late." Bonnie said as she rushed towards them. "I was busy."

"No, problem we just got here." Elena said as she took one last look at the locker. "How is it?"

"Perfect," Holly turned to Bonnie. "Now I have some bad news and I don't think that you're going to like it, but it's for the best."

Bonnie looked confused. "What are you talking about?"

Elena and Holly exchanged gazes. "Jeremy is leaving town," Elena explained. "He's staying with family friends in Denver until this whole thing with Klaus blows over."

Bonnie shook her head. "No, Jeremy will never leave you to handle things with Klaus all alone."

"I know." Holly stared at the ground guiltily. "Elena asked Damon to compel him so that I didn't chicken out."

"You what?!" Bonnie snapped.

"It's for the best, Bon." Holly said as she looked at Jeremy who was emptying his locker. "And only for a little while, I know you and Jeremy haven't worked things out, so if you want to before he leaves-"

"Yes, Holly." Bonnie interrupted. "I get it."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Caroline couldn't believe that it was her birthday and she was unhappy. Her birthday was her favorite day, but ever since she had turned into a vampire, it just seemed fake, it wasn't like she was going to get any older and the thought was too depressing so she decided to not go into school today and deal with the happy birthdays.

She jumped short when Elena, Matt, Holly, and Bonnie jumped into the hallway carrying balloons and signs. "Happy birthday!" they shouted.

Caroline laughed. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Well, you ditch school and missed our fabulous artwork so we thought we'd bring your birthday party home." Holly handed her a pink balloon. "It's pink, your favorite color."

"So change into some warm clothes we're going to the fall." Bonnie smiled. "S'mores, campfire."

"And a birthday cake." Elena laughed. "Like when we were little."

"Except with tequila." Matt sing song as he showed them, the bottle.

"Thanks, guys really." Caroline said sadly as she let go off the balloon. "It's just I'm not really feeling my birthday this year. It's not like I'm going to age, I will be 17 forever, and I'm stuck in a filter year."

"You're not stuck, Caroline." Holly said. "I'm going to be 17 forever too and believe me it's not so bad, besides that doesn't matter it's still your birthday and we are determine to make it special."

Elena thought for a moment. "I have a better idea."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Elena stopped short when they came face to face with the Salvatore's family crypt. "There it is!"

"You brought us to a cemetery?" Holly snorted. "This is creepy even for us."

"No, Caroline was right, she's dead," Elena said softly. "So she needs a funeral so that she can say goodbye to her old life and move on with her new one." They walked inside and Matt and Bonnie started looking for candles.