Chapter Twenty One: Do Not Go Gentle

Esther still in Rebekah's body found Klaus angrily painting a portrait in the living room. "What took you so long?" he asked without bothering to look back at her.

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake," she smiled as she pulled up the stake. "Luckily, I'm quite the charmer, so do you want to do the honors or shall I?"

Klaus took the stake from her and threw it into the roaring fireplace. "Pack your bags, we're leaving."

Rebekah paused. No, they couldn't leave. Not tonight.

"But tonight is the decade dance," Rebekah protested. "I'm the head of the committee we have to go."

Klaus scoffed as he returned to his artwork. "I'm not going to any dance."

Rebekah shrugged and said. "Holly will be there." She knew that Klaus had a soft spot for the former witch.

Klaus paused. "She means nothing to me."

"Please," Rebekah begged. "I have big plans for tonight."

Klaus gave an exaggerated sigh. "All right, but we're leaving tomorrow morning."

Rebekah nodded as she exited the house and walked towards Alaric's apartment where he was waiting for her. He looked up. "Did he buy it?"

Rebekah nodded. "Just as I thought. He is unaware that he is heading to his own death." She dipped a dagger in some white oak. "He burned the fake stake and you'll get the real stake when it can no longer be used against me in this body." She opened a coffin and found Esther's body.

Alaric was confused. "So how do you-"

Rebekah guessed his question. "How do I return to my old body? With a little magic and some help from a vampire hunter." She handed the dagger towards Alaric who didn't hesitate to stab her in the heart.

Rebekah let out a low grunt of pain as she fell to the floor. Esther who was in the coffin at that precise moment opened her eyes.
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Holly could see her reflection in the window of one of the cars that was parked outside the school and belonged to one of the many students that were trying to enjoy the decade dance, which thanks to Rebekah the theme was the 1920's. Holly could see her reflection in the glass window.

A simple, short fringe black dress, long pearl necklace, black high heels, and a little black headband with a flower to keep her wavy hair in place. Very dapper. But if you saw a closer look on her expression you could tell that she was unhappy.

In reality all she wanted to do was go back home and curl up on the couch, not be at a stupid dance. She didn't even have a date.

Damon appeared next to her, a frown on his face. "We need to talk, all of us." He pointed towards Elena and Stefan. "Alaric has been lying to us, he's not taking the herbs that Bonnie gave him, and so he's getting sicker."

Holly shook her head. "Then there must be another way a cure, an antidote-"

Damon shook his head, clearly frustrated. "We've tried every possible way. Magic, regular medicine, we can't even compel him-what are we supposed to tell him act like Alaric! The guy we knew is gone."

Stefan took a cautionary pause. "What are you trying to say?"

Damon threw him a venomous look. "I'm trying to say that we should put him out of his misery."