Chapter 17

"So you gonna tell me what's been bothering you?" Mia asked her best friend as she pumped gas into the car. It was late afternoon on Halloween. They had gone out shopping since it was both their day off.

Damien shifted nervously, avoiding looking in her eyes. "Do I have to?" He huffed as he saw the look she was giving him. "Fine." She beamed at him causing him to roll his eyes. "While you were saving your precious lover." He chuckled at her reddened cheeks and waved her off. "Don't deny it. Anyways, my lovely mother thought it would kind of us to welcome the new local foxes in town."

"Okay? So what does that have to do with you acting weird?" She asked once her blush went away. She hadn't exactly talked to Derek about the status of their relationship. Well more like they didn't have time to talk about it since she worked and well who what Derek did in his free time. He wasn't the same Derek who expressed himself so openly according to Scott and Stiles. But, then again they didn't know the Derek she knew when they were just young teenagers in love. The next time she'd see she would have to ask since the last time they kissed was right before he got wolfnapped. "I mean it's not like they've killed anyone. At least I hope not."

Damien sighed. "I don't know there was just something off about Noshiko. I feel like she's hiding something." He muttered. 

He noticed the way the older Kitsune would avoid eye contact with him. He also figured out her daughter was like them a kitsune as well. But, obviously different from him.

Mia nodded. "I see. You think it might be important. I mean the only major issue that's happened since the alpha pack was Barrow. I'm surprised Scott hasn't asked me about Kira because I'm pretty sure he would be able to pick up on her scent."

Damien snickered

Damien snickered. "Yeah right. Scott may be your brother but, he definitely isn't one to pick up on small details as important as differentiating scents of the supernatural." The poor boy didn't even know he was a kitsune even after the amount times they'd see each other in his and Mia's loft.

Mia laughed as the pump made the click sound signalling the tank was full. She put it back in it's rightful place. "You're lucky you're my best friend or I'd hit you for saying something like that about my little brother."

He joined in as well as he popped an M&M into his mouth. "Eh. I still have Stiles I can make fun of." He grinned and she laughed shaking her head in response. He glanced over her shoulder as she put the pump away and saw a familiar car parking in the spot behind them. He groaned in annoyance. "Seriously? This guy's everywhere." He mumbled.

"What?" Mia looked at him in confusion until she saw Derek getting out of his car and walking over to her. "Oh." She said quietly focusing on Derek approaching closer.

Derek's eyes brightened up at the sight of the brunette as he got closer. "Hey, Mia." Damien cleared his throat causing Derek to give him a blank look. "Damien."

Damien smirked in amusement at Derek. "Hello, handsome. Liking the whole scruff you got going on. You definitely look a lot better than you did in high school." He mused ignoring the glare that Mia was sending him.