Chapter 22

"Sorry, but I can't let you walk out with this. It's way above the legal voltage limit." Jordan Parrish said to Chris Argent as he held the stun gun wand. Both he and Derek had their charges dropped and were now able to leave. But, Parrish was taking his time as he looked over the weapons that were on the former hunter's person.

"I only use it for hunting." Chris said glancing at Derek who scoffed quietly.

"Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure you could use it to jump-start a 747." He deadpanned.

Chris sighed. "This property belongs to me and the charges were dropped. Although, I'm not exactly sure who's responsible for that."

"I am." John said cutting into their conversation. "I'll take care of this, Parrish."

"Sheriff, I'm not kidding. This thing's a few watts from being a lightsaber." Parrish said in disbelief as he held the stick.

The Sheriff took it out of his hands and gave him a look. "I said I'll take care of it." He then led both men to his office to talk to them privately. "The specialist I saw in LA told me the thing that every doctor says when he's trying to avoid a lawsuit. We can't say for sure. And then I spoke with Melissa. These are brain scans. My wife's and Stiles'." He hands them to Chris and Derek who glanced at the images. "I knew they were similar. But those are the same. Exactly the same."

Derek blinked and glanced at the sheriff. "And I'm guessing this isn't possible?"

"Not even remotely." John sighed.

Chris put the pictures on the desk. "So the trickster is still playing tricks."

"But why this trick?" Derek asked.

"When I was in the Army, an officer told me, If you want to defeat your enemy, you don't take away their courage

"When I was in the Army, an officer told me, If you want to defeat your enemy, you don't take away their courage. You take away their hope." John said.

Chris gave him a serious look. "You don't look like a man who gives up hope easily."

"But Stiles might." He said knowing his son. "If this thing inside him, if it's using his mother's disease as some sort of psychological trick, then this isn't just a fight for his body. It's also a fight for his mind. Right?"

"You know, he's left people severely injured." Chris said.

"And others severely dead." Derek added with a pointed look.

John nodded his head sadly knowing that his son was responsible for a lot of deaths even if he himself wasn't aware. "That's why I need the two of you. I need people who are experienced in this kind of thing. I need you to help me stop him."

"