Chapter 31

Mia released a heavy sigh once she stepped out of Braeden's room where she saw Derek and Damien in the waiting room. "How's our little mercenary friend?" Damien asked once Mia walked up to them.

"She'll be fine. She just needs rest." The brunette replied. She was relieved that Derek managed to get Braedan to the hospital on time before she died of blood loss.

Derek stepped in front of her, grabbing her gently by the shoulders seeing the exhaustion on her face. "You should rest,too." He murmured. "It's not good for you to be working so hard especially since you're pregnant."

She went to say something but someone else spoke up. "You're pregnant?" The three turned their heads to see Melissa standing with a shocked look on her face.

"She's also engaged." Damien piped up.

"Seriously, not helping." Mia muttered to him. She gave her mother an apologetic look. "I'm sorry I was going to tell you but, you've also been hiding stuff from me too." She pointed out as she stepped away from Derek to go towards her mother.

"I haven't been hiding anything." Melissa said crossing her arms over her chest glancing at her daughter's stomach every once a while.

"Really? What about the money problems you've been having." Mia retorted and her mother flinched. "You've been working a lot harder these days lately. At first I thought it was because we were understaffed but, Dr.Geyer told me about you asking for more shifts." The brunette sighed as she gave her mother a gentle look. "You could've just asked me for money if you needed it instead of overworking yourself."

"I know but, I felt ashamed. What kind of mother am I if I can't even pay for the bills." Melissa said, her eyes revealing just how tired she really was.

"So, then let me help you." Mia pleaded as she grabbed her mother's hands gently. She felt horrible that her mother was struggling and hurt that neither her mother or Scott came to her for help. It wasn't like she herself was struggling she made a lot of money being a doctor so it wasn't like her giving her mother money would affect her.

Melissa felt guilty for not telling her daughter that she couldn't even pay the bills. It made her ashamed and helpless. She already had the electricity shut off on her twice and she felt even more ashamed when Scott would look at her with sad eyes. She tightened her grip on her daughter's hands unconsciously before she released a sigh. "Okay. But, I'm paying you back you got that." She said sternly and her daughter gave her an obedient nod. "And, about your pregnancy and engagement." She muttered.

Mia laughed nervously. "Yeah. I'm really sorry about not telling you but I swear Derek and I were going to tell you." She said glancing back at Derek who gave her a smile.

Melissa narrowed her eyes at the young man as she let go of her daughter's hands and approached him. He gulped nervously from her stern look. Melissa crossed her arms over her chest as she looked him up and down. "So, you're the father." She mumbled. "And you plan on getting married too?" She asked glancing back at her daughter who nodded. "You better not hurt my daughter because if you do, not only will I hurt you but, so will Scott." She threatened.

"I won't." He swore even though he wasn't sure if he could keep the promise especially since he was losing his powers. Seeing her nod he released a breath he didn't know he was holding. His green eyes fell on his fiance who was smiling at her mother as she showed her the ring. He felt his eyes light just watching the way she smiled or laughed at something her mother said.

Damien chuckled. "You just got threatened by Mama McCall."

Derek rolled his green eyes. "Shut up."