9: Original Vampire Stories

Alright Lovelies! Another update for you!

                                                                                             ***

"I'm afraid I'll have to skip," I said, immediately. Talking about Edward was fine, I mean everyone knew...in my world that is but no one knew about me and I couldn't afford it either.

"That's not fair," he complained.

"Life never is," I murmured. If it was, I'd probably be in my own bed reading about Bella and Edward having this inane conversation. "Aren't we past all the evasiveness?" he asked, gently. I glanced at him. "Do not try to dazzle me, it won't work." I said and he grinned looking out the windshield.

I opened my mouth to look for an excuse and decided to copy off Twilight yet again. "Do you always drive like this?" I asked lightly.

He raised an eyebrow, "Do you have a problem with that?" he asked in the same tone. "No, but Bella might be a little upset if you turn me into a road pretzel," I said. "It won't happen," he raised a hand and rapped his knuckles against his forehead, "Built-in radar," he said.

"Charlie's a cop, you know. I could just blab to him," I said and he rolled his eyes. "You didn't answer my question in the restaurant. What do you think are we?" he said.

"Does it matter? I think you know," I said, tired.

"What do you mean, 'does it matter'? You don't think it matters that you're here alone with me even when you know I'm not human?" he asked, scowling at the road.

I rolled my eyes. "You're a vampire. There, happy...?" I asked. He shook his head.

"I find this difficult to believe. I knew you were strange...unique, even one of a kind if I had to grate out...but I never took you for blasé," he said.

"How am I being blasé?" I asked, angrily. "You don't seem to have a drop of self preservation. If you're willing to be in a car with me alone," He said. "Christ Edward, you brought me with you. I didn't beg on my hands and knees for you to drive me home. I'd be happy to call Charlie or get a ride back home if it such a bother!" I snapped, crossing my arms sulkily.

There was a pause.

"I didn't mean to offend you."

I sniffed. "It's just that the thought of you knowing about us has me unsettled. I am sorry if I'm being harsher than usual." He said sincere.

"You should've kept with Bella. At least she would be a much better conversationalist for you. With all that fluff in her head," I said rudely.

"You are a little too obsessed with her," he noted.

"Because it's her story," I muttered and he frowned looking at me.

Damn, superhuman hearing...damn, superhuman mind hearing too...

I carefully pulled my mind blank and began thinking of chocolate...yum...

"You're doing it again," he muttered and I glanced at him. "Giving me bad signals; why are you thinking of chocolate rivers?" he asked in bemusement.

"Do you know the Quileute?" I asked. He frowned, nodding. "Tell me about them," I said. He shrugged. "There's not much to tell. We keep off their lands, they keep off ours, it has been going on for generations," he told me.

"They don't think you're dangerous; at least not this generation, not yet anyways." I said, thinking of Jacob.

"What they think doesn't matter, we are still dangerous. To them and to everyone else," he said. I didn't have to look at him to know that he was looking at me when he said that.