19: Outsiders v/s Visitors

Okie Dokie! This is the climax and also the chapter I enjoyed writing probably the most.

Caitlin: As always...this goes to you!

                                                                                           ***

He was walking loudly, probably for my sake, so I could just listen and wait for the third degree.

Edward had been shocked, to say the least when I'd shown up at his doorstep with Stephen in tow. He'd sat me down but I'd insisted on the entire family being there. It had taken half an hour for the Cullens to gather and it had taken nearly an hour to explain everything to them. The result...? Questions, endless questions about nothing...to everything

After the inquisition ended, Edward had said 'Go, sit in my room, I'll see you there,' so, here I was.

After 20 more excruciating seconds, the door opened, noiseless and shut. I was sitting on the couch and watched Edward lean against the door with his back, expressionless eyes on me.

"You lied to me,"

I sighed, burrowing in deeper in my jacket as I flinched away from the cold accusation in his voice.

"Technically, no, I just never told you. You always knew there was something not right about me," I amended still unable to look at him.

"Tulika, this isn't even about lying really. It's about putting yourself in danger, knowingly." He gritted out.

"Is this really what this is about?" I asked, finally looking up. "I'm not Bella, Edward. I'm not going to just sit back while I let your family or Jacob's wolf pack fight wars I began. I only came here because I need your help. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit tight and watch the action." I said, matching his angry tone.

"You're doing it again; using Bella as a shield whenever you do something wrong," he said.

"Listen to me, if you don't want to help me, fine! Just don't kick Stephen out, he's already like a puppy. I'll see myself out," I made to walk past him but Edward's hand shot out, encasing my arm in a tight vice like grip. "Don't you dare, what do you mean if I don't want to help you? I love you! Of course, I will do whatever I can to protect you! Everyone will," his tone dipped towards danger zone.

I stilled.

"I..." I trailed off, watching his anger dissolve into something softer, sadder and infinitely more difficult to handle.

"However, I can see you want to go...home. I can't be selfish with something like that." He let go of my arm and walked away.

Do you ever imagine the moment when a Prince Charming will come and sweep you away from all your problems? Tell you he loves you and will stop at nothing to give you your happiness...? Imagine that, and then imagine it being shattered by a stupid thing...like being from a completely different dimension.

"Are we over?" I asked, unable to keep the pain out of my voice.

He stopped, his hand holding the door knob. I saw his jaw clench and then the door was slamming shut, wrapping me in moonlight as I stared at the crushed metal knob.

The plan was set...and completely un-proof.

Thanks to Stephen and my knowledge of the book, the Cullens knew to be prepared for two vampires. It just so happened that while James had been assaulting me in the parking lot, Laurent had shown up asking for a cover from a particularly vengeful vampire who was working for...something not good.