18: To Stay or Not to Stay

Alrighty ho!

The chapter of conflict!!

Oh and I found the perfect piano composition for Tulika...its Haven by a Youtuber named Irdeen.

The link will be posted after the chapter. Enjoy!

                                                                                                      ***

"Very good," he said in a mock proud voice before grabbing a handful of my hair and yanking me up. 

I gave a silent gasp of pain but didn't say anything as he leant in close. "Now listen, sweetheart," he said, "I got hired to do a simple job - a job to tell you and your little friend over there to pack your bags and get the hell out of this town...or better yet, go back to your own world. From what I saw, you're a smart girl. Find a way, I don't care what and neither does my boss. If you don't clear out till the end of this night, I'll be coming after you at daybreak. Is that clear?"

I just stared at him and he gave me a brief jerk. "Understood or not, sweetheart?" he snarled.

"I understand; who's your boss? Did they send us here?" I asked, a shot of bravery hitting me.

He grinned. "You'd like to know that, won't you?" he let go of me and with a final sneer he was gone.

Without wasting a second, I was at Stephen's side, shaking his shoulder. 

"Stephen...oh god, wake up, wake up," I muttered. He woke up with a jolt. "Son of a -," he gasped and I smacked my hand to his mouth. "Don't make a scene. Do you know where we are?" I asked. "Yeah, it's the back entrance, 2 blocks over, how'd we get here?" he asked, grimacing as his fingers probed the cut on his head.

"We're being threatened. Come on; let's get back to Edward and Bella. I'll tell you on the way." I said, yanking him to his feet.

"And you're sure; you don't need a doctor's attention?" Edward asked for the fifth time.

"Yes, I'm just tired; I shouldn't have worn these high heels." I groaned. He didn't say anything, just chewed thoughtfully on his lips as I sneaked in covert glances at him.

I'd told Stephen to come by late at night and he and I were going to find a way to get the hell out of this mess. We were going to tell Edward and Bella that we needed to go home and as soon as we were safely at the airport, we would find a way to get to our librarian and see if he could help us get back home.

"Edward," I began.

"I'll take you to the airport," he said immediately.

"You don't have to do that. Really...don't make this anymore harder than it has to be," I whispered, meaning every word. I didn't know if I wanted to stay, or maybe even go back but I knew I wanted him with me which was impossible to say the least.

"It's not like its forever; I'll come by to see you over the summer, Alice will probably fly you over for Prom." He coaxed. 

I sighed, unable to lie again.

"Do we know what we're looking for?" Stephen asked 5 hours later, around midnight.

I shrugged as he drove on, "What did you say to them?" he asked quietly. "I told them mom wanted me back. They didn't believe me but they said that I should at least go and check on how things are in India for a while. I think they expect me to be back soon." I said.