Christmas; A and H

Song of the chapter-

Just Say Yes by Snow Patrol

Alex-

Anne had food and Christmas decorations placed all around the house for their family and guests. Harry and I hung Christmas lights outside this morning, and Harry was grateful to do it when his mother said there wasn't a man around to help at the beginning of the season; I saw a hint of sparkle in his eyes as she asked him to do it for her.

"At least Dan doesn't get to do it." Harry said as he stood on a ladder above me, the strands of lights in my hands as I waited to hand them over to him.

And now, his hand grips mine and the fabric of the white dress Harry bought me for this party rubs against my skin as I walk with him, shaking hands and even getting hugs from his family members. I see a smile tug at the corners of his lips when I even sometimes manage to murmur a hello to his aunts and uncles and second cousins and the people he hasn't seen since last years party. Harry avoided Dan as much he could, no matter how I tried to get him to speak to him.

We met Jeremy, and I couldn't help but giggle at the way Gemma was staring coldly at Harry about the whole time, her eyes saying not to screw things up and to not be a stupid ass to her boyfriend. And he wasn't. He shook his hand and then they even went outside to look at Harrys car, since during conversation Jeremy said he worked at a repair shop. So while the two boys wandered outside Gemma and I did the same, and she introduced me to some more people and we even talked about Chelsea.

By the time people started to leave, Anne was frantic about the messes all about the house. I began to pick up cups from off the counters around the house and brought them into the kitchen, Harry doing the same. Anne stressed about how she wished I had a good time, and how she was worried her family would be rough on me. But they weren't, they were all excepting and nice. I helped her do dishes, and Harry helped Gemma clean the living room and dining room.

They were in hearing reach when they were cleaning in the dining room, and I heard Harry tell her, "Alex plays the piano you know? Well, used to."

I remember the way I used to love to play. My piano teacher was stunned by how well I could play when I wanted to. I never learned the songs in my book as I was supposed to, but I would learn pretty songs that caught my attention and learned them perfectly. Just as when I was in the orphanage and I would paint animals and flowers instead of that stupid bowl of fruit at the front of the class.

Once everything was clean enough for Anne's liking she told us she was glad it was over, and went to bed even though it was only nine o'clock.

So Gemma, Harry and I stayed up and watched Christmas With The Kranks, curled up on one couch together with hot chocolate that Gemma and I had made in the kitchen together. I find myself even talking to Gemma now, not much, but it's progress. I know Harry is thankful for that.

"Harry, maybe Jeremy and I could come down and see where you live sometime, and we could go on a double date?"

Harry acted appalled to her suggestion because of the mention of Jeremy, but I could see the big grin trying to make its way onto his face as he told her yes. I squeezed his hand under the blanket and smiled at him.

That next morning was Christmas Day, and I woke to Harry murmuring Merry Christmas into my ear to wake me. When we went downstairs Harrys mother and sister were gone, and he said his mother always goes grocery shopping the morning of Christmas because she buys fresh donuts from the bakery in town and buys ingredients for Christmas dinner. So even though our stomachs were rumbling we make coffee instead, and I lean against the counter and sip at it as Harry studies me.