Chapter 4

Chapter 4

That evening Dipper was a little nervous as he knocked on the door. He was glad Wendy invited him back after their...odd...misunderstanding this morning, but anyway, any alone time he could spend with her was always quality time.

"Hey Dipper. Come on in." She was wearing her normal Wendy smile, so things were still ok.

"Thanks. So, we ran out of popcorn, but I grabbed some crackerjacks, some peanuts and some instant hot chocolate packets, with..." and he held a bag up high like a trophy "mini-marshmallows!"

"Oh yeah! High five!" and they slapped hands.

Whew! Things are back to normal. It woulda been great if she were my girlfriend, but ok, things are pretty good even as friends.

They walked down the hallway to her bedroom.

"Where's your brothers tonight? And your dad?"

"They went bowling. They'll be back around 10. Let's drop of the crackerjacks and peanuts in my room and then make a detour to the kitchen to make the hot chocolate."

"Sounds good to me."

Dipper always loved the smell of her room. He never knew Wendy to wear perfume, but her room always smelled like a girl's room. Being a 14 year old boy he didn't stop to think about things like baby powder, skin lotion and the like, but he knew a girl's room when he smelled one. Sometimes Mabel made their attic smell the same way.

They dropped off the snacks and then turned around to the kitchen. Wendy got out a kettle and filled it up with water to boil.

"So Godzilla huh? Like the original Japanese series, in black and white and rubber suits? Haha!"

"Haha yeah man, oh we're gonna have some laughs for sure, can't wait to hear your commentary heehee!"

Dipper watched Wendy carefully. She got out the mugs and they poured the packets in while waiting for the water to boil. She seemed completely at ease with him. This got Dipper thinking.

A little too much at ease for having gotten into a misunderstanding about kissing and girlfriend/boyfriend status. Wouldn't she be more...tense If she really didn't remember the kiss, or last night? Maybe she wouldn't have even invited me over. But if she did remember, and was denying it, then she would be at ease...or am I over thinking things again? Maybe I put her into a bad spot in front of Mabel and Soos and that's why she denied everything?

Dipper smiled in sudden realization. Of course! She had to deny it in front of Mabel and Soos. A 17 year old kissing a 14 year old? It makes sense now! So, now that we're alone, she probably...probably will...let her feelings ...show...again!

His heart began racing at the thought. Don't rush it this time man, not like at the shack. Let her kiss you again, let her make the first move...