Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"You mean 1970's zombie flick? Like, cheesy rubber mask with no CGI animated special effects? Like bats on strings?"

"Haha! Yeah man, you nailed it! The strings man! Haha!"

"Ugh. No thanks Wendy. Though...uh...I could go for like, Constantine. Something at least this century."

Wendy frowned. Tambry was nothing like Dipper when it came to poking fun at old movies.

"Nah, Constantine is cool for when I wanna cuddle with a guy, but like, I'm lookin' for laughs, you know?"

"Uh...no. What's so funny about cheap, cheesy old movies?"

"Never mind. I'll talk to you later Tambry."

"Sure. Bye."

Wendy started walking home as the sunset turned the Oregon sky a blaze of orange and reds and purple, kicking stones down the road as she walked.

I was really looking forward to getting away from Dipper too just the way he said. He said he thought we could both use a break, and it sounded good to me too...at the time.

I mean, this way we could go back to just being friends having fun without my stupid dream screwing everything up. And that would get Mabel off my back. She is just protecting her brother but sheesh, it ain't like I'm gonna...gonna break his heart. Hah. As if.

Something flickered overhead. Wendy squinted and could finally make out a bat, twisting and turning in radar predation after some unseen insect.

I'm no "maneater"! Dipper's my friend. So why...why am I dreaming about him? He's only 14. But he's sure a lot more mature than the 18-plus year olds I've dated that's for sure. That kid's got it together. Well. Maybe not about love, but about everything else.

She looked back down and finding a good sized rock, gave it a swift kick and sent it sailing out of sight. She then noticed she was walking past the shack. She looked up at the attic window and saw the lights flickering. Straining her ears she could faintly make out...laughter.

I'm glad. Glad that Mabel is getting some laughs with her brother. Gotta share the little dork after all. And besides he belongs to her more than me anyway. But why...why am I dreaming about him? You never answered the question. I mean, he is reaaallly cute as an older Dip. Tasty actually. Quite tasty. Especially his lips. Those kissable lips.

WAIT a minute Wendy ol gal, that kiss was an...accident. You can't really like his 14 year old lips.

Well yeah. That was...was nice.

She resumed walking, but looked back once. Then turned around and walked home.