Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The next morning the rain clouds had cleared, finished with their mild sprinkling and as always the Oregon landscape responded with greener ferns, fresh pine scent and an earthy smell from the mud.

Wendy's alarm was still a few minutes from going off but a small sunbeam found a gap in her curtains, and gently woke her as it shined good morning in her eyes. She smiled, the rose in her cheeks unable to hide a few delicate freckles sprinkled with an almost artistic flare across the bridge of her upturned nose and her cheeks.

She woke up still smiling and then closed her eyes briefly, snuggling the pillow. She felt well rested and cozy, and just knew today was going to be a happy day. She opened her eyes and saw everything differently now.

She threw off the blankets and hopped out of bed, and swaying to the closet began humming a chipper tune.

Her gaze skipped right over her usual plaid shirts and jeans, and scooted over her hangers in the closet, and looked at her girly clothes: dresses and tops and other things she hadn't worn in a while.

She picked out a fuzzy teal dress with a turtleneck and some shiny silver-black leggings to go with it, and a sliver scarf with thin red stripes and a matching knit beanie. Then in the back she pulled out some knee high black leather boots.

If this doesn't keep me warm, he will!

She made a pit stop at the bathroom and then went to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Whoa, hate to tell you sis but your attempt to look special failed."

"Shut up twerp."

She wanted to eat breakfast at home so she could then brush her teeth and make sure she looked kiss-ably irresistible to Dipper. After making French toast in record time, and stealing a strip of her brother's bacon and then back to the bathroom to brush and apply a little makeup, then flew past the kitchen so as to pre-empt any more comments from the Neanderthals that were somehow impossibly related to her.

Dipper is so smart, finally someone I can have interesting and fun conversations with...well...we always had that! But now...now I can appreciate it even more, being his girl. Wow, I like the sound of that! HIS girl...

She almost skipped to the shack. Ha! I haven't skipped since 4th grade. What's come over me? Is Dipper mature or am I getting younger?

She looked up at the birds fluttering between the pine trees, and then looked down and noticed that even the tiniest little flowers were sprinkled with dew, drinking in the last nights rain, and growing, almost shouting to the sun, feed me!

She smiled at the amazing place she lived in, the place she used to think was boring to death was now full of life and nature and colors and...wonder. She giggled.

...

Mabel was already downstairs, eating toast in the shack gift store so she could talk to Wendy before Dipper, who was still asleep.

Wendy always dated older guys, or at least guys the same age. But even though they were older they never lasted. My brother has got to be the youngest guy she ever kissed, so it will probably last shorter than all of them! He was on cloud nine last night but today she'll rain on his parade, and when she does I'm gonna give her a piece of Mabel mind!

The entry door chimed, and to Mabel's surprise in walked a Wendy she had not seen before. Black boots stepping loudly on the wooden floor in a sultry strut as she swiveled around like she was on a catwalk to turn around and close the door. Then swiveling on heel again to strut behind the counter, hips, arms, legs and hair all poetry in motion.