Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Lee was pedaling back home from town, and as the landscape became more forest and less town he noticed a figure walking towards him on the side of the road.

"Hey, Dr. Fun Times!" he coasted to a stop in front of Dipper.

"Hey Lee."

"I heard that you're giving Wendy like, private fun times now eh? Haha! Congrats man, that's a big score for a freshman. She's hard to please."

"Oh well uh, I uh..." Dipper blushed. "It isn't as far as all that. I mean, yeah, we're together now. But I...it isn't just for fun times man, we..." and he swallowed and went for it. "We love each other."

Lee still smiled. "So it's serious eh dude? Haha! Well, better armor-all your heart man, Wendy doesn't keep boyfriends very long."

Dipper became angry inside but kept his cool. "Maybe she just didn't find the right guy...until now. Haha."

Lee socked him in the shoulder. "Well whatever happens man, roll with it. It's cool."

"Thanks Lee. I'll...I'll remember that. Haha. See ya."

"See ya Doc."

And the tall blond started pedaling. Then he turned around and shouted as he kept pedaling away from Dipper.

"Oh hey, stop by the strip mall and check out Nate! He's all like, security cop guy now and stuff. See ya!"

And he turned around and pedaled out of sight.

Dipper looked down at the ground for a moment in thought. "Security cop guy?" Shaking his head he kept walking, he could make out the strip mall in the distance now.

...

Wendy's phone chimed again just as she was toweling down from her bath. She flipped it open.

"Just saw your bf walking to town. Told him check out Nate's new gig. It's true right? Bf+gf?"

Wendy looked up to see her concerned face in the mirror. He is walking to town? Nate's new gig?

She looked down at her phone and started texting quickly...

"Meet me at the fork, need a favor man. "

Then she wrapped herself up and dashed to the bedroom to get dressed.

...

Nate came out from behind the stores, and started across the parking lot again. Then he squinted as he looked down the road.

Dipper! Well if he is looking for trouble like he caused at the community pool two years ago he's gonna find a different kind of trouble!

Dipper approached the stores and started checking to make sure the antique store was still opened. His best chance for some really cool frames would be there. He walked briskly now as he got closer. He reached to double check his wallet as walked across the parking lot.

"HALT! Hands up slowly!"

Dipper looked up to see Nate with his Maglite held up ready to swing.

"What the...? Nate? What the heck are you doing? Leave me alone." And he resumed walking to the store.

"Oh no you don't, you're not gonna make a mess of this place like you did the public pool! You're a menace!"

"Nate, you're crazy! Why would I make a mess of this place?"

"You won't on my watch, that's for sure!"

Dipper shook his head and approached the store door. He pulled out his wallet.

A GUN? NO WAY!

WHACK! The wallet went flying and smacked against the store window and dropped into the strip mall trashcan. "OW!" Dipper held his hand squinting in pain and then with wide eyes and mouth open in shock he looked back at Nate who now raised the Maglite high again. Dipper started to shout and was about to bolt but then he stopped and closed his mouth.

Nate began to swing down with all his weight but UGH! It was stuck! He looked up.

Manly Dan held the Maglite with a death grip and then frowning with angry eyes, began lifting the flashlight up, with Nate holding on. His feet left the ground.

"Whaaaaa?" Looking around in panic he let go, and as he landed he got a SLAP! in the face.

"Don't you EVER hit my boyfriend or it will be the last thing you ever DO!"

Reeling from the slap and shock he looked up to see Wendy Corduroy, with her arms straight down and fists clenched, looking very pissed off! She looked as tough as her brothers in matching plaid shirts and jeans. Behind her the three brothers looked very eager for a fight. Nate then jumped as he suddenly felt a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Dude, you need to chill. It's just a job man."

Nate turned around to see Lee, smiling.

Nate turned around to first make sure Manly Dan wasn't coming any closer but Wendy's dad remained where he was, growling, still holding the Maglite. Nate thought of asking for it back and decided quickly against it. Nate turned around back to Lee. Then he turned to Dipper, whose hand was being examined by a still frowning Wendy.

"I'm OK Wendy, it's just a little red, nothing broken. The fingers might get a little bruise."

Wendy lifted his hand to her lips and delicately kissed it. She smiled at Dipper and then walked right up to Nate, two inches from his face, frowning with clenched teeth.

What she said next was in a very low guttural growl that reminded everyone that her dad was Manly Dan, despite it still having a little female pitch to it. "Don't... give... me... a reason." And she turned around. "OK dad, let's go. You too, twerps." Manly Dan and the brothers walked back to the truck. Then she turned around. "You too Dipper. We'll give you a ride home."

He ran up to Wendy and her family. "Uh, thanks Wendy but I came here for some business, and haven't finished it yet. I'll be right back." And he smiled, then turned around. Walking up to Nate he very calmly but sternly spoke:

"Give me back my wallet Nate."

Nate blinked and then turned to look at the trashcan. Then looked at Lee who then glanced down inside it.

"It's OK man, it's mostly empty, the wallet's right there man."

Nate looked at the Corduroy family watching him from the parking lot and then with a frown looked at Dipper. Then he walked over to the trashcan and reached down and pulled it out. He brushed it off and then handed it to Dipper, who gently took it back, checked the contents and then started walking to the store. Just before he went inside he turned to Nate.

"Important business lesson Nate: The customer's always right." Then he went inside.