Chapter 16

Chapter 16

That evening after the shack closed for the day Dipper walked Wendy home. Stan and Wendy's family knew about their relationship now, and so they held hands fearlessly as they strolled down the dirt road.

"You ready for the world?" She smiled as she said it but Dipper could hear just a hint of worry.

"I've been ready. Now that you're by my side I am more than ready, for anything." And leaned over and gave her a quick kiss.

She returned it, and then pointed to the patches of tiny white flowers with yellow centers on the side of the road.

"I love those little flowers."

He let go of her hand and ran over to them, picking three of them. He returned and stuck them in her scarf by her collarbone.

"Aw, thanks." And she kissed him again. "Isn't it a beautiful sunset?"

He looked at her eyes and made it clear what he meant. "It sure is." She smiled back and then looked up at the sky as she asked him a question.

"How can the same place I lived in for years suddenly be the most beautiful paradise? Even the dirt and grass?"

"I was wondering the same thing. I think it is because when we have someone to share it with then it means more, a lot more." Then he ran ahead of her and turned around to face her walking backwards, bowing repeatedly.

"I worship the ground you walk on! Haha!"

She laughed. "OK, don't be a pushover, it isn't attractive."

Dipper stopped and turned around and squinted as he looked ahead. "There's Tambry, Robbie and Thompson."

She caught up with him and held his hand again. "No problem. None of them are a match for me." And Wendy squeezed his hand. "Or us."

He looked back at her and smiled. She smiled back with determination shining confidently in her face.

As they approached the crew the lovers could see the others expressions clearly: surprise, disgust and confusion.

Tambry spoke first, eyes wide. "Oh...my...gaw...Wendy, you've got to be kidding..."

"Pun intended." Robbie added with disdain.

"Babysitting?" Thompson asked Wendy innocently. He is so clueless he doesn't even know he made a jab.

The couple only held hands more tightly and now touched shoulders.

Dipper looked at Wendy in silent encouragement. With you by my side I can face anything.

She knew the best defense is to let Dipper be himself, and nodded to him. Go for it, I'll back you up.

"Haha! Uh yeah, someone's got to keep you guys outta trouble. I never should have shown you how to break into the convenience store. I've contributed to the delinquency of minors." Then Wendy nudged his shoulder.

"That's ok Dipper, give them a chance, they can be fun. I'm sure they remember how fun you can be." Her voice was a playful sarcasm. This seemed to push Robbie's buttons.

"Uh Wendy, I think YOU are contributing the delinq-whatever. Maybe it'll be an improvement. What's the matter, can't find a real man?"

"No, not until now." She paused and let that sink in. She used to go out with Robbie. "But now I have found someone who gets me."

Tambry was still not convinced. "I hope he doesn't get all of you. That might be illegal."

"Tambry, I am not with him for your hopes. I am with him for mine." And she turned to face Dipper and kissed him on the lips. The two closed their eyes, Dipper raising his hand to the back of her neck, and then slowly they both wrapped their arms around each other as the kiss intensified and became more passionate.

Tambry's mouth fell open. Suddenly she turned to Robbie. "How come you never kissed me like that?" Robbie scowled.

Thompson was staring too. Wow, Dipper is a lucky guy!

Wendy and Dipper came up for air and then turned to face the three, smiling. Wendy then turned her face to the side smiling and mockingly fanned herself. "What a guy! Woo!"

Tambry turned back to face them. With a small smile she asked:

"So like, when did this happen?"

"And why?" Robbie asked with sarcasm. Tambry glanced at Robbie with disapproval but turned back to Wendy.

"Last night." And Wendy playfully touched Dipper's nose. "He's so romantic!"

Tambry smiled. "Really?"

"Really." And now Wendy wrapped her arms around Dipper's arm as Dipper rearranged the tiny flowers on her scarf.

"Come on Wendy, let's get you home."

"OK." She turned to Tambry. "Sorry, gotta go. He's gonna take me home." And she smiled.

"Uh ok. Bye." And Tambry waved.

And the couple walked right through the middle of the three and down the road.

Thompson seemed to finally get it. "Well what do you know?"

"I know it's pathetic." Robbie turned around.

"Huh. You know...actually they do kinda make a cute couple." And Tambry took a picture of the back of the couple as they walked off into the distance. "This is gonna make some waves on my blog!" and she smiled...