Chapter Twenty Three

~COPYRIGHT 2012~

*Maddi’s POV*

Leighton had picked Kale and I up this morning for school. The car ride was quite awkward. I could see Kale and Leighton eyeing one another through the rearview mirror. I couldn’t help but feel like they were hiding something from me. But I pushed that though to the side. She’ll tell me what’s going on when she’s ready.

In case you’re wondering what happened this week, Leighton ended up staying over on Saturday night. My parents took a liking to her, but they thought it was strange that I was hanging out with one of my teacher’s sister. Leighton and Kale had been flirting the whole time she was there also. Can somebody say awkward?

When we got to school, I was shocked to see Carter waiting for Kale by his locker. Seeing as my locker was right next to my brother’s, I figured he wouldn’t be there.

“You look pretty today,” he told me.

I blushed and muttered a thank you. The whole time I was there, I could feel his gaze burning a hole into my face. I automatically felt self conscious. Why is he staring?

I slammed my locked and scurried off towards homeroom where I would see Ms. McDonald. Kill. Me. Now.

*Carter’s POV*

I said goodbye to Kale and followed Maddi down the hallway without her noticing. She headed into homeroom and I peeked through the small glass window. In front of the classroom were Ms. McDonald and Mr. Evers. Her back was turned to the door and she was hiding their interlocked hands. They were obviously flirting. Oh, so Mr. Evers is with her? I think Ms. McDonald needs to hear about her cheating boyfriend…”

*After Lunch – Leighton’s POV*

I had forgotten my history textbook so I told Maddi to go on without me to class. As I nearly reached my locker, a pair of strong arms grabbed me and pulled me into the janitor’s closet. I nearly screamed, but once I heard his voice, I calmed down.

“You look sexy today,” he said, pressing his lips to my neck.

I grabbed his face and pulled his lips to mine. We kissed hungrily, his tongue massaging mine. This feeling was amazing. I still can’t believe I hooked up with him on Saturday night. And now I was his first girlfriend, sneaking around behind my best friend’s back. I pulled away when he started tugging at my clothing. I pushed his hands off and backed away.

“I have to get back to my brother’s class. Maddi’s in that class and they’re both going to wonder where I was and what took so long. I’ll see you later, babe,” I told him and pecked him on the lips. “Oh, and we need to tell your sister soon. I don’t like lying to her.”

He groaned as I left the closet. Luckily nobody was in the hallway to see me come out. I rushed to class and sat down in my seat.

“Nice of you to join us Ms. Evers,” my brother mumbled, embarrassing me in front of the entire class.

It went by so slowly. Even though my brother taught it, it was my least favorite class of the day. And when the bell rang, I met Landon at the front.

“Are you going to be leaving on time today?” I asked him. “Maddi and I have some important business to tend to so we’ll be at home.”

Speaking of Maddi, she went off to her locker and would meet us out in the parking lot.

“Yeah, I’m ready to go. Let me just say goodbye to Melissa first,” he responded.

I fake gagged and he turned around, glaring at me.

“You’re going to have to deal with the fact that I’m seeing her. Otherwise I’m sending you back to mom and dad,” he threatened.

“Why do you have to be with her? Can’t you be with Maddi?” I questioned, practically yelling.

“Leighton, lower your voice!” he growled, shutting the door. “And no, I can’t be with Maddi. I made a mistake once and I slept with a minor. I could go to jail if someone else were to find out. I could lose my job!”

“So? I know you love her, Land,” I said softly. “Any punishment is worth you being with the one you love. Take a risk, bro. I won’t tell anyone.”

He took a deep breath. “Just drop it and let’s go,” he said and we went out of the classroom.

I was surprised when he didn’t stop to say goodbye to ‘Melissa’. Instead we just headed out to the parking lot. I swear I saw his eyes light up when he saw Maddi leaning against my car. I smirked and told her to get in my car. Landon got in his own car and we both drove home.

Once we got inside, a plan developed in my head. It was perfect!

“Guys, I forgot my Chemistry book at school and I need it for homework. I’ll be right back. Maddi, make yourself at home as usual and Landon, you need to make sure she’s satisfied. After all, she’s a guest,” I said.

With that, I exited the door, jumped in my car, started the engine and drove away, leaving them alone. I knew just where I was going; to see Kale. We’ll see what happened once I get back home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leighton and Kale are dating behind Maddi’s back?

Carter is a bit creepy, right?

What’s going to happen with Landon and Maddi?

~COPYRIGHT 2012~