Chapter Twenty Four

~COPYRIGHT 2012~

*Landon’s POV*

I frowned as my sister the house. I knew what she was doing. She was trying to get me alone with Maddi so I would talk to her.

I watched as she set her backpack down on the floor and plopped down on our couch, flipping the television. I sighed to myself and decided that I might as well get it over with. I headed over to the couch and sat down next to her. There was an awkward silence between the two of us.

“How was your day today?” I asked her casually.

“Fine,” she answered, not looking at me. “You?”

“Same,” I replied. “I couldn’t help but notice that look you were giving me in History class though. Are you confused or something?”

“Uh, yeah, a little bit.”

“With what? You know, I could help you. I’m your teacher.”

“I keep getting the Constitution and The Declaration confused.”

“A lot of students do that when it comes to the Bill Of Rights,” I said. “But the Bill Of Rights was in the Constitution. The Declaration Of Independence was a document that they used to state their independence from Britain.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks,” she smiled.

“No problem. I’m always here to help if you need it,” I responded and we once again fell into silence. “So, I heard that you and Carter broke up.”

“Yeah, we did. It wasn’t working out.”

“Why is that?”

“It just wasn’t.”

“Come on, there has to be a reason. Please just don’t break up without a reason.”

“Mr. Evers, can we please stop talking about this? You’re my teacher. It’s none of your business.”

I held my hands up in surrender and said, “Sorry, I was just asking.”

“Well don’t ask!” she yelled. “God, can’t you just leave me alone?”

My jaw dropped, shocked at her temper. Why was she so angry?

“I can’t stand seeing you here! I can’t stand seeing you happy after all that’s happened between the two of us! I’m anything but happy, Landon! Can’t you see that? I don’t want you to be with anyone else! I want you to be with ME! ME ONLY! But we can’t because it’s ‘forbidden’ and ‘not allowed’. Why do people have to assume that older guys who like teenage girls are perverts? They don’t look at the situation and think that maybe, just maybe those two people are in love. You aren’t even that much older than me!” she ranted. Then as if she just realized what she just said, her eyes widened and she went to get up.