o n e

"You had me at hello..."

Jerry Maguire

December 3rd, 2013

HE HAD FIRST asked me out on a cold November morning as rain poured down the classroom windows.

He had given me a small smile, plopped into the desk chair next to my own, and asked me to small rendezvous to a horror movie. You see, I had no idea who this boy was. Hell, I didn't even know his name. So of course, like the mature and responsible teenager I was, I calmly declined.

His smile had faltered at first, his blue eyes falling towards his shoes. "Now," he tsked, "that's no way to treat a new student on his first day." His eyes bore into mine, as a lazy smile played on his lips.

I knew the line was practiced. Planned with the correct amount of eye contact to the vulnerability in his voice.

Kennedy Summers was smarter than this. Smarter to realize his moves, his plays.

I turned away from him, "if you wanted to get a girlfriend, you should have sat next to someone else," I say with a snip of attitude.

He shrugs, "however, I sat next to you..." he answers.

I scoff and turn back to him. His gaze was glued to me, as a small, playful smile spread across his lips. Classic.

"I suppose you wanted me to give you an invite."

He rolls his eyes but he's still smiling.

"Keep rolling your eyes. Maybe you'll find a brain back there." I say.

He chuckles and once again rolls his eyes. I bite my tongue as to not repeat my previous comment.

"I promise you, my brain is fully functional," he assures me.

I smirk, "I think you mean fictional."

He laughs again, "see, this is why I sat next to you."

"You ignored my use of a nonexistent invitation?"

"Nah."

"Or did I charm you with my powerful use of not caring in the slightest?"

"Ouch."

My lips slightly turned upwards.

Dammit, Kennedy!

"Hey! I saw that."

I raise my eyebrows and slightly laugh, "am I not allowed to smile now?" 

"I never said that."

I laugh, "Alright fine, I'm going to keep that in mind for next time."

"Stop distracting me." his eyes are on me.

"In what possible way am I distracting you?" I say as I raise a brow, giving a quick glance to my teacher as to make sure I truly wasn't distracting him or anybody else from the importance of various DNA structures.

"Your laugh is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard," he answers without a beat.

I almost groan, why did he have to be so smooth? Or cheesy, for that matter.

I couldn't help the redness from creeping up to my cheeks, "shut up." Was all I could muster.

"Do you know why I sat next to you?" He asks.

I sigh, "Why?"

"Because I knew we would become friends."

***