e l e v e n

November 5th, 2014

AIDEN HAD BEEN avoiding me the entire week.

I attempted to do simple things to gain back his trust. I waved at him in the hall, bought him a cookie for lunch, kissed him in public (which he knew I hated) and did possibly everything I could think of to get him back to his normal self.

None of it worked.

I didn't enjoy being a sad depressed girl who depended on her boyfriend for happiness, but I felt desperate without him.

I know, I'm pathetic... but I missed Aiden. I really missed him.

Lunch was uneventful and quite. It seemed obvious to my friends that Aiden and I were going through a rough patch, as they all were very evidently walking on eggshells around us.

Georgia had pulled me aside earlier in the week and asked me what happened between us. I was wary of telling her the whole story, considering she was close with Aiden, but I eventually broke down and ended up telling her everything. I felt stupid after, but it was frustrating. I didn't want to be forced to say "I love you" to Aiden when I didn't mean it. And she further attested to the fact that I shouldn't be expected to.

In fact, Georgia had become so angry with his behavior that she told me she was about to go kick his actual ass. I somehow was able to calm her down, and tell her that it would just make it worse if other people got involved. Although she was angry, she finally opted to listen to me and dropped the subject.

I managed to make it through another terribly awkward lunch of silence and stifled coughs, before the bell finally rang and I was able I to make my way to my fifth period class of technology/film.

It was by far my favorite class of the semester, as the teacher was kind and relaxed, and the class was overall, very enjoyable.

I walked through the heavy doors and entered before making my way to my usual computer. Number 19, it was my lucky Mac.

"Summers," Mr. Land said as he acknowledged my presence with a kind smile.

I returned the gesture with my own polite smile and a simple, "hey Mr. Land."

I plopped into the seat and tossed my backpack under me aimlessly. I started to log into my computer and into Final Cut Pro to continue editing my most current project.

I managed to add a few special touches to my titles before the bell rang, signaling that class was beginning.

"Class," Mr. Land said as he attempted to quite down the students, "today we will be starting a new project that will require you all to get into groups of your own choosing..."

Before Mr. Land could finish his sentence, an annoyingly loud creak echoed through the class, causing everyone to snap their heads up and look towards the door. I look up in time to see Carter burst into the class and very obviously become embarrassed as he notices everyone's eyes on him.

"Ah, Mr. Thompson, this is your third time being late this week," he comments in a stern but calm voice.

"Sorry Mr. L," Carter mumbles, "won't happen again."

Mr. Land chuckles and shakes his head, "just take a seat, so we can continue," he says as he motions to the empty seats scattering the class.

Carter quickly scans the room before his eyes land on my own. His smile grows so big that it reaches his eyes.

What was up with him lately?

Carter plops into the seat next to me and starts to quickly log into the computer in front of his desk.

"Anyways," Mr. Land continues, "this project will be worth 20% of your grade for the semester, so I suggest that you all take this seriously," he makes a point to quickly glance at Carter and give him a knowing look. "Like I said before, you will chose a group of two or three to make a film that represents the spirit of our school. The film will be required to be at least one minute long, however, if you choose to make it longer that will also be accepted. I will choose the best film in the class and give each group member 50 extra credit points, and their film will also be posted on the school website in order to represent the district proudly."

I smile, as film projects were always my favorite to receive from Mr. Land.

"Any questions?" He asks as he takes a look around the room, "alrighty then, get to it!" He says with a smile.

I start furiously typing on my computer to open a google doc and start storyboarding my film, before I hear a voice from next to me.

"Hey."

The voice sounds sheepish and slightly embarrassed. However, I could've recognized the deep, boyish, voice anywhere.

I turn to meet Carter's eyes, "hey, what's up?" I ask casually as my fingers tap on the computer mouse nervously.

"Nothing much," he says with a chuckle, "how was the rest of your Halloween?" He asks immediately.

I restrain myself from sighing with his mention of Halloween, as I'm transported back to my problems involving Aiden, which I had fortunately forgotten upon the arrival to my favorite class.

"Eh, the rest of the night was pretty uneventful," I say, lying through my teeth, "anyone else come to the diner after us?" I ask with chuckle, honestly curious.

Carter smiles upon the memory and then laughed, "an old married couple came in at like three a.m. I'm pretty positive they were high because they were giggling over sprinkled donuts in the corner booth," he lets out a snort, "I guess they were looking for some fun, maybe they wanted to feel young again?" He suggests, raising his eyebrow at me.

I chuckle, "maybe. If I'm being honest I hope I'm cool enough to do that when I'm that old," I say with a grin, "I'm totally going to be the cool grandma."

Carter shakes his head, "can't say that I wouldn't be surprised Summers, I'm sure all the kids would come to you as their dealer..."

It was my turn to shake my head and giggle, "oh totally," I start, "I'm thinking I'll start a drug cartel out of my retirement home."

"Hey," he says, "gotta have some sort of way to pay the bills, I don't judge."

I laugh, "since you helped me come up with the idea, I guess I can get you special discounts," I shrug.

"Oh really? That's very kind of you Miss Summers," he says as he tries to stifle his laugh.

"I know, I know. I'm way too nice for my own good."

"This is true."

When I hear no chuckle or joke lacing Carter's words I turn to make eye contact with him. He was already staring at me with those eyes of his, studying my face in all sincerity.

His eyes eventually flickered down to my lips. Landing his obvious stare on my plump mouth, making me regret forgetting to put on a layer of lip gloss after lunch.

His eyes trail back up to meet mine, his intoxicating stare making me feel like I was the only girl in the world. Especially paired with that smirk of his. I was done for.

Aiden smirks. He smirks a lot.

Aiden.

I immediately turn my head away and break the seeming staring contest between Carter and I. This wasn't right for me to do, I had a boyfriend- a boyfriend I was happy with. I couldn't stare at boys... especially not boys I had somewhat of a history with.

"So anyways," Carter trails, his voice very obviously more disappointed than before, "I was thinking we could be partners for the project," he clears his throat almost frantically, "I mean if you don't want to it's fine. I know you're really good at this stuff and I really need the extra credit so maybe you could help me out here?"

I click the share button on the top of the Google Docs website before turning to look at Carter, "what's your email?"