Chapter 1: Old Friends

Sawyer's POV

I heard my alarm clock begin to go off. I looked over and saw that that it was only 8:00. I reach over and hit the snooze. I closed my eyes again trying to fall back to sleep until I hear my mom calling me.

Mom: Sawyer get out of bed. You're going to be late for school.

I groaned and finally got up. I really didn't want to go but I had to go to football practice. It was my duty to be there everyday since I was the school's quarterback.

I began to dress up and I got down to eat breakfast. I was already late but I didn't care. After I finished I walked to school and decided to take the long way.

Joey's POV

I ran down the hallway as I tried to make it to class before the late bell rings. I got shoved into a few people but I apologized for it even though it wasn't my fault.

I made it in time though and sat down in the front of the classroom as usual. History is my favorite subject because it is the only honor class that I take because I have a learning disability.  

I took out my notebook and copied the notes from the PowerPoint. For the rest of the class we watched historical videos.

After the the bell rang, I packed up my stuff and left. It was 12:00 which meant I had lunch now. Lunch was the worst subject for me because I always sat alone. People made fun of me because I wear glasses and even because of my emo-hair style.

I decided to go to the school library so I took the shortcut through the football field.

I walked across the field holding my books close to me with my head looking down. I didn't want the football players to bully me again. Last time they left a bruise on me.

Suddenly I feel a football hit mye in my face forcing me to fall down. My glasses fell down and I couldn't see anything but I can hear the football team laughing at me. I kneeled down and started to look for my glasses. I suddenly felt them and put them back on and see Sawyer laughing.

Sawyer: Need any help there, kid?

I saw him picking up my books but I got them from him. I began to tear up so I began to run until I reached the library. I didn't want the football players to see me cry, I didn't want to add on the list of names that they already called me.

Was Sawyer really embarrassed of me that he didn't want to say my name? It didn't matter, we haven't been friends for a long time.

Sawyer's POV

I felt really bad that I laughed at Joseph Graceffa. I don't even know why I did, maybe because my team thought it was funny and I just wanted to fit in. Still though, I think that I even made him cry. I forgot how sensitive he is.

"That was a good hit wasn't it captain?" I heard my teamate say. 

Sawyer: You hit him right across the face. It was so epic. You even made him cry, what a wimp!

What's wrong with me? I am talking shit about my best friend... If I can still call him that.

Joey's POV

I spent the rest of my lunch period dipping my tears into my library book. The bell rang and I wiped them off with my sleeve. I just had to survive the rest of the day.

It was last period and it was time to go home. I was walking toward my locker when I tripped over the leg of one of Sawyer's friends. He laughed and he began to kick me in my stomach. All I saw was Sawyer watching me in pain.

Sawyer: That's enough. Stop!

"He's a wimp just like you said" I heard him reply. 

I saw him laugh and leave. Sawyer thought the worst of me. He held out his hand to help me up and I pulled him down.

Joey: I've had enough Sawyer. I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

Sawyer: I'm only trying to help you.

Joey: You're only making my life miserable.

I was going to punch Sawyer until the principle came.

Principle: You two. Detention. Now!