Chapter 16: Helping You

Sawyer’s POV

I was on my phone replaying the Shoey kiss over and over. It had become iconic. I hit the wall in anger. I should be shipped with Joey instead Shane. I went into the kitchen and put my head down on the kitchen counter.

I looked around and no one was home. Joey went to the gym this morning. I quickly reached for the cabinet and took out a bottle of vodka. I began drinking my feelings away.

I saw myself in the mirror of the living room. I looked awful. My eyes were red and puffy, and tears were running down my face. There was this feeling in my throat that would not go away. It sucked. I walked over to the couch and I laid down the couch with the bottle of vodka in my hand. I was already feeling tipsy.

I could sense Joey judging me even though he wasn’t here. It hurt. I chugged as much as I could before I spilled and had to wipe my mouth. 

Joey’s POV

I wiped the sweat off from my forehead with my towel. That was quite a work out. I opened the door and saw Sawyer lying in the couch. I could tell he had been drinking for a while now. I noticed it had become a habit of his and I didn’t like it.

Sawyer drank secretly but I could tell when he did whenever I kissed him. “I think that’s enough soy-sauce” I said calmly. I leaned in and grabbed for the bottle. Sawyer pulled the bottle farther away so I couldn’t reach it. I sighed and rolled my eyes at Sawyer.

“It’s not good to drink so early in the morning” I said. Sawyer murmured something but I couldn’t quite understand what he was trying to say. I attempted again to grab the bottle but this time Sawyer pushed me off.

“I said stop Joey” Sawyer yelled. I got up from the floor and looked down at him. “I’m only trying to help you because I care” I replied. “Maybe you should mind you’re on business and leave” he said muttering his words together.

I shook my head and grabbed the bottle this time. I pulled it away from Sawyer and held it like a football player holding a football during a big game. Sawyer stood up tall and proud and suddenly I felt him grab hold of my arm.

“Let go Sawyer! That really hurts” I whined.  He held my hand tighter and glared at me. “’Be a good boy and go back into your room” he said.

I tugged my hand away from Sawyer’s grip. I rubbed it where Sawyer had left a red mark on it. My eyes began tearing up. “That’s what my mother said whenever she drank Sawyer. She pushed me away just like you are doing now. I-I can’t deal with this again. I left Boston to get away from her, to no longer deal with her problem and the pain she caused me.”

I began to cry harder. I remembered the pain that I dealt with back in Boston. It became harder for me to talk. “I don’t think I can deal with it again Sawyer. It was hard enough that for me that I ran away from all the chaos to be with you. You were my rock. Now you’re cracking. I can’t, I-m sorry” I blurted. I wiped the tears from my eyes and ran away from Saywer's house.