Chapter 17: Getting Better

Sawyer’s POV

I looked down and saw my hands trembling. What did I just do? I threw the bottle of vodka onto the floor so it could break into a million pieces. That’s how I felt, I felt broken. I sat back down onto the couch. I could have run after Joey but he would resist.

I wondered if it was even worth it. Was all the heartbreak that Joey and I went through necessary? It didn’t seem normal. We weren’t normal though. Joey and I were one of the craziest, sensitive and caring people you could meet, that’s why we worked so we were perfect for each other.

I texted Joey and put my phone away. I went to my room and packed up my things in a suitcase. As I walked out of our house, I saw the picture of me and Joey which I took with my camera. I carefully took the picture out of its frame and put it into my pocket. This was what I was fighting for. This was my motivation to continue fighting for Joey’s love.  

Joey’s POV

I made my way to a small café that Sawyer and I went to whenever we went out. It was small and private but it was great when we wanted to go out without being disturbed by fans.  

A waiter walked in my direction. I put down my menu. “What would you like to order?” the waiter asked me. “Can I get a turkey burger and a green smoothie?” I replied. “To go or to stay?” he asked. Before I could answer, someone texted me. It was Sawyer.

I read what he sent me and I couldn’t help to smile. I looked back up and saw that the waiter was still waiting for my answer. “To go” I finally answered “I have to go meet someone.”

Sawyer’s POV

I needed to get better, for Joey’s sake. I took a deep breath before I walked into the rehab center. I stood in front of a room with other people like me. No one could judge me here. From here, I was only able to get better.  

I sat down in an empty chair which was arranged in a circle.  I was upset and felt empty having to go through this alone. I knew it was for the best but I couldn’t help but miss Joey. Someone sat down next to me but I didn’t bother to look up. What was the point? I kept telling myself the rehab would fix my drinking problem.

A lady sat in the middle of the circle. She went across the circle and asked everyone why they were here. Finally she called my name. “What are you in here for Sawyer?” she asked. “I’m here to get better for someone I love” I responded. She nodded and went to the next person.

“What are you in for?” she asked once again. “I’m here to deal with the trauma that I went through when I was a kid." The person sighed in relief as if admitting the problem took a load of his back. He then continued "so I can get better for someone who I love” he said. That voice was familiar. I lifted my head and saw that it was Joey Graceffa.

“Hey soy-sauce” he said. He leaned in and hugged me. “What are you doing here” I asked. “I’m getting help too, you are not the only one at fault” he said. “Thank you Sawyer. For doing all this for me” he continued. “I needed this Joey. You just helped me realize I had a problem” I responded.

“You know what I mean” he said. I nodded and kissed him softly on lips. Rehab wasn’t what I needed to get better. All I needed was Joey’s love. We both needed each other in this relationship.