Spirit, if You Are With Us...

Sister/Brother!Reader

Sucky inserts sorry

Cas x Reader

2845 words

*Gender neutral

Important author's note at the end-please read it.

~

The pain was over as soon as it began.

You wake up confused. Not because you don't remember what happened, but because when you open your eyes, you're standing up.

The walls are sky blue and void of photos or paintings. In the corner is a small table with a vase, the flowers and the wood the only colors in the room besides the walls themselves. Everything else from the door to the chairs to the curtains to the trim to the tile floor are a dread-inducing spotless white, matte and without feeling. Your breathing becomes heavier with panic as the sound of a steady beeping and hissing registers in your ears. You turn slowly, dreading what is behind you in the half of the room unexplored by your curious eyes.

You force yourself to turn around, and immediately fall to the ground and begin retching.

On a bed under a thin white sheet and disgustingly bright hospital gown, is you.

An oxygen mask is strapped to your face, which is the color of the chair and the tile floor and the curtains. Hospital gadgets surround your bed, the heart monitor the source of the steady beeping. Your chest rises and falls shallowly, the mask filling with condensation on beat. Your physical form is still as death, but you-the part of you that's up and functioning, is shaking like a leaf, trying desperately to make sense of what is happening to you.

The white door bursts open, banging against the wall next to it with the force of Dean's purposeful stride. His face is stoic, but you can see the underlying desperation and anger behind his eyes. Sam follows closely, his open-book concern greatly contrasting Dean's as he jogs in after with slight elation. He's saying something, probably telling Dean to calm down, but his words are drowned out by Dean's shouting at the scrub-clad nurse who brings up the rear.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do!" Dean roars. "That's my (sister/brother)!"

"I'm aware of that, sir," the nurse says, determined eyes matching his without backing down. "But if you don't calm down I'm going to have to ask you to leave the room. I'm sticking my neck out by even letting you in here right now."

Dean's face falls as he registers this, and he turns away from her. Your heart melts as you watch Dean grip your hand tightly, a single tear rolling down his face. Quietly, the nurse exits, and you catch a glimpse of her look of pity out of the corner of your eye. Sam takes up position behind Dean, jaw clenched as he stares at you stoically. You turn away from the heart-wrenching scene, unable to handle seeing your brothers in so much pain.

Suddenly, Cas rushes through the door, trench coat whipping behind him dramatically, and your stomach drops. His hair is messier than usual and he's not even wearing a tie. Dean and Sam step aside, respectfully letting him have his moment of grief. He falls to his knees at your bedside, gripping your ice cold hand like a lifeline. He ducks his head, but you can hear his muffled sobs as he takes in your comatose state.

You know he can't feel you, but you kneel down beside him, anyways, placing your non-corporeal hand on his back. "Oh, Cas," You whisper, laying your head on his shaking shoulder.

The two of you have been dating for almost two years, now. Dan had gone overprotective big brother at first, but he had come around once he realized that you loved each other a lot. You're torturing yourself just looking at Cas right now, the dramatic irony of not being able to tell him you're okay like a stab in the gut. You can't even imagine what he's feeling. Hell, you don't even know if you are okay.