I Am Who I Am

I stopped by a cafe after visiting Arkham. I ordered a coffee and sat at a booth alone in the back of the cafe. I needed to gather my thoughts. I felt disturbed by seeing the state of my mom. She seemed.. Lost. And in my head all these years I pictured her beautiful, wise, full of life and love. But now she's gone, broken, there's still beauty in her but not like before. And seeing her like this made me even more eager to find my dad and get both of them out. It also made me scared to see my dad. He already had the reputation of being insane and I wonder if he's gotten worse. If I was going to find him that meant I had to also find the mob and probably batman himself. And I know I can't give up. Not after everything my parents fought for to be together. My uncle, lex, used to tell me stories about them. How much they loved each other. They got married after they had me. And after everything they've been through and how helpless they are now I know I can't give up. I've got to get my family back. It's said that my dad was the biggest criminal of his time but honestly, maybe the heroes are the villains.

It was starting to get dark outside. How long have I been sitting here? I stood up and left some change on the table for the coffee. I left the building and started to walk home. I took out my phone and saw ten missed calls, six from Mark, Four from uncle lex who must have just found out I left for Gotham. As I walked I stopped right outside an alley because I dropped my phone.

"Shit." I cursed out. I picked it up and studied it for cracks, luckily there were none.

"New in town?" A girls voice startled me. I looked in the alley but it was too dark to properly see her. I didn't reply I just stood there frozen, not of fear, but of the thought of who she was. She stepped out into the street light. Reddish orange hair in a pony tail and a bat mask covering half her face. She wore a black body suite with the bat symbol carved on it. All black.

"Well ?" She tilted her head and pressed her lips into a thin line.

"What's it to you?" I clenched my teeth in anger of who she was. Adopted by batman after my mom refused to carry on the bat name. But I didn't know if she knew who I was.

"Jacqueline. You've got quite a reputation in metropolis. I see you take after your father.." She crossed her arms.

"Well I am who I am." I mumbled.

"I'm afraid I gotta take you in. Sorry, even though your family and all." She sarcastically and bitterly said.

"Your no family member of mine." I mumbled. "And your not taking me anywhere."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't make me have to force you."

"Why princess? Scared of breaking a nail?" I chuckled bitterly and turned to walk away but swiftly she yanked my arm causing me to hit the floor hard.

"Weak just like your mother." She huffed out.

"Bitch you haven't seen anything yet.." I mumbled as I swiftly got up and kicked her under feet while doing so. She fell to the ground and tried to quickly get up but I got on top of her and pushed her down causing her bat shaped blades to fall out of a pocket attached to her belt. I couldn't help but smile and laugh at the sight of her. "Who's the weak one now?"

She frowned and struggled in my grip making me push her down harder. I laughed.

"The difference between you and me, batsy, is I didn't have any damn training at all." I smirked.

"Let me go!" She said struggling.

"You started it!" I laughed. I moved my knee on her stomach holding her down and grabbing one of the blades that fell out. She breathed heavily from the force and tears started to fill her eyes. A look of pain on her face.

"What's the matter?" I spat putting the blade next to her mouth. "Why don't you smile...?" I said the phrase all too well. A phrase I've heard most of my life. "Smile." I said. I thought about cutting a smile into her face. To take away the gloom. But then thought better of it. Last thing I needed was to turn insane. Not now atleast. A gene my father passed down I guess.

I took a deep breath in and threw the blade onto the floor.

"Tell batman that I'm gonna be running the mob now and the jokers coming back. And if you ever come at me again I'll carve a smile into your pretty little face before killing you." I stood up and kicked her. She groaned and moaned remaining on the ground holding her stomach.

I glared at her and then walked away.

I stopped by a store and bought some green hair dye...

The whole walk back it rang in my head

Weak like your mother...

I reached my hotel room and angrily slammed the door when I entered. I dyed my hair then washed it and let it stay soaked. I was going to let it air dry.

Weak like your mother...

I grabbed my make up bag and poured out the contents. I grabbed my foundation that I never used because it was way to pale for my face almost white. I grabbed my black eye shadow. And my red lipstick and went to the mirror.

Weak like your mother...

"What's the matter ? Why don't you smile?" I whispered into the mirror. I began painting my face white then covered my eyes black smearing it on my face.

"Smile.." I whispered as I took the red lipstick and painted a smile on my face. "Take away the gloom..." I said as I stormed into the other part of the room dumping out my clothes from my bag. I took a dark green V neck shirt with black strips and put it on, some paint getting on it. I put some dark purple skinny jeans on , a leather jacket, and combat boots.

"I guess I've got some errands to run..." I whispered as I grabbed a silver revolver from one of my bags. "All while the night is young.." I whispered.

No one could here me except me and the room.  The mob would be run by a new person, I was going to be the most feared criminal of Gotham.

The world was going to know a new name

Jesterine.

After all, I am who I am.