December 3

FLASHBACK

"So jay.." uncle lex said as he drove. "What do you want for your birthday?"

"Um.." i hummed. "No school?" I laughed. He chuckled.

"Sorry Jay, no can do." He said as he pulled up to drop me off. "Have a good day. Happy birthday."

"Thanks." I said as i got out. I waited till he drove off, pretending to go into the school, instead i went around to the back and waited for Mark.

"Hey.." he nervously said as he approached me. "You sure we should be doing this?"

"Yeah i do it all the time." I chuckled like it was no big deal.

"I know but... my dad would kill me." He bit his lip.

"Then dont let him find out?" I awkwardly said.

He sighed trying to make a decision.

"Please?" I pleaded. "Its my birthday. You said you would."

"Fine." He said defeated.

"Yay!" I exclaimed as i took his hand causing him to grin. "Lets go!" He oed me to his car not letting go of my hand until we got in.

"How do you know theyll let us in?" He asked nervously.

"The owners an old friend of mine." I replied.

"Oh ok..." he mumbled as he drove. "You sure about this...?" He asked as he pulled up to the old bar. "I dont want to get in trouble..." he muttered.

"Its fine." I said calmly. "I know the guy here. We go way back."

We entered and took a seat at the bar. It was a small musty place. Only one other customer besides us.

"Excuse me." The bartender said. "Shouldn't you be in school..?" He firmly asked. Before i could answer he cut me off. "I dont think your old enough to be here."

"Ask John. Tell him its Jay." I raised an eyebrow. He gave me a confused look and retreated through the door to the back part of the bar. I glanced over at mark who seemed nervous.  "Relax." I whispered. He awkwardly smiled.

The bar tender came back out.

"Sorry about that. What can i get you?" He asked as he slid coaters to us.

"Whiskey please." I muttered.

"Uh, water?" Mark said awkwardly and unsure.

The bar tender turned around to get our drinks.

"Jay!" A man said overly welcoming as he was coming out of the back of the bar.

"John!" I smirked.

"Hows my little bird been?" He asked.

"Im surviving." I muttered. "This is my friend mark. " i said motioning to him. Mark smiled and mumbled a shy 'hello' making me chuckle.

"Hey." John said to him with a nod. "Well jay, happy birthday its great to see you again. Ive got some....buisiness to attend to but anything you want is on the house." He said before retreating back to his office.

"He seems kinda ... shady." Mark Said. I rolled my eyes.

"Everything seems shady to you." I mumbled as he gave us our drinks. I took mine and swigged it. Mark picked up his cup and studied it before taking a careful sip. "We are so different." I mumbled before chuckling.

"Maybe thats why we fit so perfectly..?" He shyly said.

I glanced over to him. His cheeks were a shade of red and a goofy smile was on his face.

"Maybe.. " i mumbled.

"Listen Jay, theres something i-i i would like to uh tell you-" he nervously stuttered. "Something i should have said a very long time ago. And i uh- well.." he awkwardly said. He opened his mouth to speak again but we were cut off by the sounds of gunshots coming from Johns office. Instantly he came stumbling out.

"No." He yelled before tripping and falling to the ground.

A man with a gun came out following him.

"Sorry john but the boss wants his money." He spat.

"Hes a fake." John angrily said. "Just wait, one of these days that corrupt son of a bitch is gonna get thrown away like garbage. Just wait till people see his real self."

"Hes the richest and most successful man of gotham. Good luck with that. " the guy with the gun said before aiming at John.

I stood up in anger while mark stood up in fear.

I opened my mouth to speak but it was too late. The man already shot him. He turned to the bar tender and shot him too before looking at us.

"Sorry no witnesses..." he smirked as he raised his gun at me.

Instantly mark jumped in front of me. I shut my eyes as i heard the loud sound of the bullet. When i opened my eyes i saw mark with a clenched fist. He slowly opened it revealing that he caught the bullet.

The mans eyes widened. "How the hell...?" The man looked frightened as he darted out the door.

"Are you ok?" Mark stuttered.

I nodded.

"Yeah, thanks..."there was a pause.

"Jay!" Uncle lex said barging in.

"Lex how did you-" i started but was cut off.

"Your teacher called and said you werent in class." He said. "We're gonna have a little talk." He raised his eyebrow. "First let me get you two home. " he sighed