Chapter 16

(Serena's POV)

Two days later, Ash recovered from his fever and returned to school. But there was a gloomy atmosphere surrounding him when he learned that we had a biology project.

"Damn, I didn't know there was gonna be a project," Ash groaned.

"It couldn't be helped since you got sick on the same day we were assigned the project," I reassured him.

"Well, it's not bad since we're researching for gender differences on Pokemon," Shauna explained.

"And we have our own Pokemon Researcher to do the work for us!" Kenny pointed to Gary.

"Don't make me do everything! We already divided the workload between everyone, and Ashy-boy needs to his part," Gary retorted.

Everyone gave Ash the rundown on the group project. But I kinda feel bad since we decided that Ash will put the research pieces together without telling him.

"Alright, I'll finish everything tonight. Sorry, I didn't do much for the project," Ash apologized.

"It's no big deal. How are you feeling right now?" Dawn asked.

"I'm feeling great! Thanks to Serena!" he exclaimed.

"Y-you're welcome, Ash," I replied softly while blushing.

During the past two days, I would visit Ash to give him the homework assignments for his classes. And of course, I wanted to check on him.

"And it's not only Serena, but Calem helped me get better, too. Though, I noticed he has been acting strange," Ash said as he looked down.

"What do you mean?" I inquired.

"When Calem was taking care of me, he doesn't really say anything to me. Like no 'good morning' or 'how are you doing' stuff like that."

"Weird. He loves starting conversations with people and that doesn't sound like him," Shauna pointed out.

"And we always walk together to school, but this morning, he already left. It's almost like he's trying to avoid me."

"Maybe he's busy with the Battle Dome? I heard that the tournament was coming up next month," Kenny said.

"A tournament? He didn't mentioned anything about a tournament. I hope I haven't done something that offended him."

Was Calem really avoiding Ash? I had been friends with him for a long time and he wouldn't start avoiding his friends unless there's a reason. I wonder what happened with him.

~~~~~~~~~~

(Ash's POV)

It was already the end of the lunch period, and unfortunately, Calem didn't hang out with our group today. I wanted to thank him for taking care of me when Serena wasn't around. Speaking of Serena, I also want to properly thank her for watching over me during those times.

"Hey, Gary! Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked.

"Sure, Ashy-boy," Gary replied.

"Thanks, let's talk somewhere else."

While Gary was following me through the hallways, I noticed the mischievous brunette messaging on her holo caster and I grabbed her along with me.

"Whoa, Ash! That's a very bold move to take a young girl like me somewhere~" Leafia teased.

I ignore what she said and led them to an empty hallway.

"Alright, what's up?" Gary crosses his arms.