Chapter 18:

Usually every morning, Brock would be the first to wake up. However, for this one occasion, it was different. Zak and Brianna were able to sleep in a lot longer than what they were used to and because of realising this, they were a little suspicious as to what was going on. Maybe Brock just wanted to sleep in because he was tired. 

It soon hit 11am and Brianna noticed that Brock still hadn't woken up or come out of his bedroom. Because she didn't want her son sleeping too long because she knew that he wouldn't nap, she decided to go and wake him up. As she did so, Zak began to cook breakfast.

"Good morning Brock, you slept in today." Brianna spoke to him, as she began to open his blinds which let a lot of light into the room. Brock rolled over and began to rub his eyes. "Come on baby, daddy's making breakfast." She told him as she knelt down next to his toddler bed and encouraged him to get out of it. "Noo-" Brock whined as he turned around and tried to go back to sleep again.

Brianna raised her eyebrows a little. This wasn't like Brock. Usually, Brock would be up in a shot and would be ready the moment that he heard the word 'breakfast'. "Brock, honey, are you feeling okay?" Brianna asked the little boy. He refused to reply for a moment, instead, he tried to go back to sleep. "Brock? Please answer mommy. Do you feel okay?" She repeated the question, hoping that she'd get an answer from him. Brock sat up slowly and shook his head before frowning. "I f-eel sick mommy..." He trailed. 

Upon hearing this, Brianna frowned also. "Aw Brocky, I'm sorry to hear that. Does anything hurt?" She wondered, as she felt his forehead. Brock was burning up. "Yeah...Tu-mmy hurt-s." He whined slightly. "I think you may have a fever, Brock. I'm gonna take your temperature just to make sure that it's not too high, okay?" Brianna told him. "-kay, mommy." Brock replied, as he laid back down and tried to fall back to sleep. 

Whilst Brock did so, Brianna dug into the bathroom cupboards for a thermometer, however, this was unsuccessful. She quickly went down the stairs and asked Zak whether he had seen it anywhere. "Is he up yet?" Zak asked Brianna, the minute that she walked into the kitchen. "Do you know where the thermometer is?" She wondered, as she looked into a few cupboards where she thought that the thermometer would be. "Why? Are you feeling okay?" He responded, as he paused what he was doing and looked at her. "It's not for me, it's for Brock. I think he's got a fever." She told him. "Poor little boy, I hope he's okay." Zak frowned slightly upon hearing this. "I hope so too, I need to find the thermometer quickly though as I need to make sure that his fever isn't too dangerously high." She replied. "I think the thermometer is in the cupboard underneath the sink." Zak spoke, as he tried to remember where he could've put it. "Checked there already, wasn't there." Brianna sighed. "Have you checked our bathroom? I think it's in there." Zak told her. "Oh, no I haven't, thank you honey." She smiled slightly as she went over to him and pecked his cheek. "It's okay, I'll be up in a moment, I'm just going to dish out the food." He told her, as he got a few plates out of the cupboard and placed them on one of the kitchen counters.

Brianna jogged out of the kitchen and back up the stairs. She checked in the cupboard underneath the sink in their en suite bathroom and thankfully found the thermometer. She sighed in relief before walking back to Brock's bedroom. 

As she walked in, she realised that Brock had fallen back to sleep. "Brock? I've got the thermometer here and I need to take your temperature." Brianna spoke, as she gently shook Brock awake. Brock grumbled as she did so, not wanting to open his eyes. "Once I know what temperature your fever is at, then I'll let you go back to sleep for a little while, okay?" She said, kneeling down next to his bed and placing her right hand on her son. "-kay, mommy." Brock responded as he finally opened his eyes and allowed her to do what she wanted to do.