Chapter 12: Whispering Fear

The rising sun's rays flooded through the cave as Kiara stood beside Whiplash, securing her rope around the dragon as a temporary saddle for their journey. She had convinced her dragon to help her on a quest to find an island with human inhabitants, in the hope that they may help Kiara find a way home.

"If you want to find humans, I don't see why I can't just take you to Valka," Whiplash asked as she fidgeted, not used to the feel of the rope.

"Because you said she lives amongst dragons so, no offence, she's kind of a cavewoman. I need to find a town or city, somewhere with access to technology and, as lovely as it would be to pay her a visit, I can't afford to waste more time. It's been over a week and my family must be worried sick." Kiara's hand instinctively went to her jacket's pocket where she'd kept her family's photo, and a lump formed in her throat. She swallowed. "I can only imagine what I'm putting them through."

"I understand... most of it anyway. What is this 'technology' thing you keep mentioning?"

"It's, er... stuff."

"Stuff?"

"Um... equipment!"

"Oh, you mean tools."

"I guess so."

"Okay, let's head out."

"Yes!" Kiara cheered as she hopped on Whiplash, "Goodbye, Discovery Island!"

"Are you going to persist on calling it that?"

"Definitely."

So they set off, flying across the cloudless morning sky.

"Do you know what's missing from this road trip?" Kiara asked her dragon.

"I don't see any roads..." Whiplash started, eyeing the sparkling ocean as it rushed past.

"A sing-along!" Kiara declared, making her dragon groan.

"At least that'll drive away the Scauldrons." Whiplash snickered and Kiara ignored her, already starting to sing.

"♫ 'Cause wings are made to fly
And we don't let nobody bring us down
No matter what you say it won't hurt me
Don't matter if I fall from the sky
These wings are made to fly ♫"

By the time they'd found their first island, they had flown for almost two hours and a layer of white cloud had blanketed the sky, turning the sun's golden rays into a pale even glow. The island was green and grassy and appeared to be decorated with random dots. 

"Any idea what those dots are?" Kiara asked.

"They're holes, possibly tunnels," came the reply.

"Hmm... Could be a mining project," Kiara said hopefully but paused as her dragon growled and twitched her ears, "What's wrong, Whippie?"

"There's a sort of... rumbling coming from underground."

"Do you know what it is?" Another pause.

"No."

"Let's land, gently, and find out."

Whiplash swooped down and landed but the moment they touched down the tremors intensified and the rumbling shook the ground.

BOOM!

Dozens of dark snaky dragons burst out from underground. Kiara gulped. "That's not good." As one, the dragons' heads snapped towards the pair and countless pairs of white eyeballs glared at them. That's right: WHITE and nothing else. What was more horrifying was the shrill growls that reverberated through their jagged teeth. "Th-that's worse!" Kiara squeaked, her voice shaky, "Get us in the air!"