48. Edge of disaster

Here's a recap (cause it's been a while and I'm sorry) --> The gang have left the Edge to capture Viggo, as according to Heather's plan, but were ambushed by an armada of hunter ships. Kiara is at the Edge with her dragons, preparing to face the separate fleet of hunter ships approaching her.

_____________

The boats were less than eight minutes from Dragon's Edge. On their sides, oars clawed at the surface of the water, forcing them to inch forwards. Their sails hung flat since the still night air provided no aiding wind.

The island was prepared for their arrival. A thick pile of large branches, small trees and shrubs stretched in a line across the base of the island, forming a barrier between the shore and the cluster of huts. Working together, the dragons had set up everything incredibly quickly and without blasting fire or even roaring too loudly. Now everyone —the four thunderdrums, Stella, Kiara and her dynamic duo— sat in position in a looming cliff's shadow, where they had a perfect view.

Kiara crouched next to Whiplash and repeated the plan she had come up with over and over in her head, analysing every aspect and trying to spot weaknesses. She had said it out loud many times, telling each dragon their role, but after the seventh time, they began to growl and urge her to calm down.

She couldn't calm down. Her heartbeat was performing a thunderous mimicry of a heavy metal band, her head was spinning with worry and a tingling sense of anticipation was surging through her. She began to shake without realising it.

This is actually happening! she thought, trying to wrap her head around what's about to happen. We're actually doing this! This is INSANE!

"Jeez, Kiya," Robbie exclaimed in her mind, "Can your thoughts get any louder?"

"No one asked for you to tune in," Kiara shot back, "and call me 'Kiya' again and I'll name you Cringe-lord."

Robbie casually inspected his claws. "Lord, huh? If it means I'll finally get a title, which I clearly deserve..."

"Don't push it, mate," she huffed.

"Reminding him of the second choice for his name might deflate his ego," Whiplash suggested with a smug look.

"Oh yeah," Kiara snickered, "Periwinkle, was it?"

Robbie made a disgusted face and growled, making her laugh.

The jokey mood fizzled into nothing as the first ship docked at their small port. The night suddenly grew colder. Kiara glanced at her friends, and her eyes rested on the thunderdrum triplets. They held her gaze and an understanding passed between them. It was time.

"Now remember you three," Kiara started, but was immediately cut off by Bumble's growl. "I know, girl, I know," Kiara sighed, "I said it plenty. Just be careful. I can't afford to lose anyone." She looked at each dragon individually, the weight on her shoulders growing. "I couldn't live with something like that on my conscience." Bumble's features had softened and she and her brothers made soft crooning noises to reassure her. Then they began to tread away. "Our best friend is the elementofsurprise!" Kiara hurriedly said as they left. "Remember don't act until..." A faint splash was heard as the three dragons dove underwater.

A picture of the three swimming closer to the ships formed at the back Kiara's eyes and sparked dread in her mind. Thornado nuzzled her arm and a deep soothing grumble vibrated from his chest. "Don't fret over those three," he assured her. "They'll be just fine. They were taught by the best, after all." Kiara smiled at the way his wings flared with pride.

"They sure were, Tony."

"It's a pity you couldn't teach them how to NOT scream in my ear while you were at it," Whiplash joked, communicating her exact thoughts to the other dragons through Kiara's mind.