Chapter 40: Living on the Edge

Life on the edge became a frenzy after the "Dragon Whisperer" revelation. Kiara found herself following a schedule that was starting to remind her of the dreaded S-word: school. Her day would include a lesson with Mr Haddock and another with Mr Ingerman. She didn't mind her schedule much; the only downside was starting her day off with a workout fit for punishing a delinquent. Miss Hofferson's lessons hadn't changed the slightest.

But on the sixth morning, things were looking up a bit.

"Today, we'll be learning how to disarm an opponent," Astrid said after the usual bone-crushing warm up. "My assistant will help me demonstrate the technique as payment for borrowing my axe yesterday." 

Snotlout visibly shrunk under her death glare.

Oh, so that's why he was just sitting there.

Of course, Astrid had already taught Kiara the different ways to disarm an opponent; she was only demonstrating on Snotlout as an excuse to cause him pain.

"YAOUCH!" he yelled as she grabbed his axe mid-swing and jerked his arm behind his back.

Note: never use Astrid's axe without her permission.

After a bunch of demonstrations, and many more screams from Snotlout, Astrid said something Kiara wasn't prepared for. "Your turn."

"With Snotlout?"

"Yes. I need to see how well you can apply the techniques in combat."

Kiara nodded, forcing her expression to a blank one.

"Axe only," Astrid instructed the Viking, handing him a wooden axe.

Snotlout grumbled under his breath and stepped towards Kiara. For a moment, the two just stared blankly at each other.

"Are you gonna do something..?" Kiara asked. "There's no point in disarming someone who won't attack."

The only warning she got was a grunt as the Viking lurched forward axe-first. Kiara barely sidestepped the attack when he came at her with another swing. She ducked and elbowed him, though it had no impact on her opponent. The axe-strikes kept coming but Kiara dodged, arcing her body and dancing out of the weapon's path. Snotlout growled, frustrated. He clearly hadn't expected her to be so fast. His swings grew wilder and wider, and he was leaving unguarded openings: Kiara had her chance to retaliate.

Duck. Swing. Dodge. Swing. Kick!

The blow to his ribs made him double over, letting Kiara grab his axe-wielding arm and twist outwards.

The axe clattered to the floor.

Kiara hastily kicked the axe away and sprang back, her heart pounding. Through ragged breaths, she managed to smirk at Snotlout. "Don't lead by anger," she said.

Still fuming, he grabbed his real axe and stormed out. "The axe was unbalanced," he grumbled on his way.

"Sore loser," Astrid muttered. Kiara turned to face her, knowing by now that a long list of things she needed to improve was coming her way. Instead, she got: "Nice work. Class dismissed."

"What?" Kiara was stunned. "But we're early."

"I know. But I need to get ready for tomorrow."

"What's happening tomorrow?"

"Hiccup will explain," she said, already leaving.

"Ookay..?"

With an unexpected amount of time on her hands, Kiara headed over to the stables to find her dragon friends. Before she could greet them though, the voice of an annoying inmate interrupted her.