Chapter 13: Dark Deep

"Why here?" Whiplash asked as she hovered uncertainly above the island, "There are no humans on this rock, that's for sure."

"I know, I know," said Kiara, "but we really should rest up and resupply. I'm aching everywhere, and, after that Whispering Death fiasco, your wings could really use a break."

Whiplash hesitated, eyeing the roaming Gronckles that were scattered across the dark rock. The rocky outcrop had few trees, all dried up, and was covered in large cracks and crevices that zig-zagged across the rocky ground. A mountain rose up in the centre, it's double peak reached for the sky like a pair of fangs would reach for blood. The scene looked especially dark and sinister in the shadow of the grey sky. Despite the unsettling aura, Whiplash sighed and began to spiral downwards, giving in to her exhaustion.

The moment Whip's paws planted on the grey rock, her wings sagged and she slumped on the ground. Kiara rolled off her dragon's back and lay beside her, sighing contently. The granite was hard and bumpy on her back, but after flying non-stop for hours, it was an invited relief to be back on the ground.

A lot of the Gronckles had stopped and turned to eye the new arrivals, sending them odd and curious looks, but Kiara didn't care. As long as they weren't trying to blast their heads off, she was content.

Since leaving Discovery Island early that morning, the rocky outcrop they lay on was their first rest stop and luckily Gronckles were rarely aggressive.

Kiara felt Whiplash's warm breath and turned to see that her eyes were closed and she was snoring softly.

"Maybe I should get a nap too," she thought. But it was impossible to catch a wink through the buzz of thoughts storming her head. And one particular thing had consumed her mind in worry.

At first, she hadn't noticed it but now it was blatantly clear: the gaps in her memories were increasing, becoming wide gaping holes of foggy emptiness; and with every mile they travelled, the holes grew, consuming the memories she held dear. "What the heck is going on?" It was unnerving, having your memory slip away from you to be replaced by uncertainty and emptiness. Kiara shuddered. She was losing herself, she knew she was losing herself and she could do nothing about it. 

Suddenly, fresh anger boiled inside of her and, despite her exhaustion, her hands balled into fists. "Why did this have to happen to ME!" She thought stormily and hot tears welled up in her eyes. Tears that she quickly blinked back. All she wanted to do right now was go home. She wanted things to return to the way they were. To see her family. To live with certainty, rather than a jumble of forgotten memories and unexplained thoughts. She wanted reality, rather than the fantasy world she was lost in. All the things that she took for granted, she now missed dearly. And to have those things — those people — snatched from her very memory was nothing short of agonising.

Kiara's stomach grumbled, interrupting her dismal train of thought. She frowned, unaware that she was that hungry. She slowly sat up, and her body groaned in protest. Flying was amazing, like riding a roller-coaster, but when flying for hours on end, it became uncomfortable and gave you blisters down your thighs.

Kiara noticed how her skin felt crusty and when she ran her hand through her hair she found it damp. "Oh yeah..."  she thought. Just then, her stomach growled again.

"Hungry, are we?" a familiar voice sounded in her head. Kiara looked to the dragon, who still had her eyes closed, but her ears were propped up, hinting that she was awake.

"Well, not everyone had their lunch on the way here," Kiara said, remembering how Whiplash had spotted a school of fish and, despite her protests, the dragon had dived in thrice, each time coming up with a mouthful of sardines. Most of the water had dried up (except in her tangled hair) leaving a crusty layer of salt on Kiara's skin. "Speaking of which, I need to have a bath." Whiplash's eyes blinked open.