Chapter 28: New Beginning

During the hours Kiara had spent with Hiccup, she had concluded that he was a caring, courageous and quirky smart ass —not at all a person who'd lose their temper. Kiara hadn't even imagined ever seeing Hiccup angry, so to witness this side of him so early into their acquaintanceship was not sitting well with her. The strangest part was that his unexplained anger and protectiveness had a sense of familiarity, just like the rest of him.

Kiara watched uncertainly as he gripped the arrow he had snapped tighter, his fists tense. Were they shaking? Slowly, she raised her eyes to look up at his. His face was scrunched with frustration, a storm brewing inside him.

"I told you not to go near the ships... What were you thinking?!" Hiccup demanded. He ran a hand through his hair, infuriated, and started pacing in front of her. The dragons glanced their way, unsure of what to do.

"Hiccup, I.."

"COULD HAVE DIED!" He shouted, throwing his arms into the air.

Kiara flinched slightly at his outburst, but a flame of anger ignited in her. Her fists clenched. Why should she have to listen to him?

Why does he care?

That flame was snuffed out, though, as Hiccup's arms went limp and he stopped pacing. The arrow fell from his grasp as he hung his head, facing away from Kiara.

"Ugh, I'm so sorry," he said, surprising Kiara further. "This was all my fault..."

What?

Anger, she could handle, having angered many people in her lifetime, but guilt Kiara couldn't stand.

"...I should never have let you go against them."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Stop right there, dragon boy," Kiara demanded, marching up to him. Hiccup turned with a brow raised in slight confusion, then stumbled back as Kiara jabbed a finger into his chest. "NONE of this was your fault," she told him fiercely. "Yes, I could have been captured. Yes, I could have... died. But I didn't! You had our back. You and Toothless. Because of you, what could have happened didn't." Leaning back, she fixed a stern gaze on him and folded her arms. "Besides, I did everything by choice. Do you think you could have actually stopped me?"

This raised a faint smile on Hiccup's face. He shrugged, looking sheepish. "Probably not."

A light chuckle escaped Kiara's lips. "The one sensible thing you've said since landing," she remarked, then sighed, dropping her hands by her side. She addressed him seriously. "I should really be thanking you."

Hiccup raised his eyebrows and began to protest. "No no, I was just—"

"No, Hiccup," Kiara cut him off, "I'm not your responsibility... but you still looked out for me. I don't understand why, but you did. Thanks for that, really." She paused then completely dropped the sincere tone and added, "I owe you one... Prince."

She grinned and rushed off to Whiplash.

"Son of the Chief!" Hiccup called, then strolled after, an easy smile lighting up his face.

The hunter, who was wedged between the two growling dragons, looked so pale that part of Kiara was actually worried for him. "Come here, Whippie," she said, "Give the guy some room." Whiplash shot her a questioning look. "Hey, I'm sure he knows trying to make a run for it won't help when there's a nightfury by his side." Toothless growled his approval and the hunter let out a strangled yelp, the sweat starting to bead on his forehead. Whiplash huffed and inched over.

"So what's the plan?" Kiara whispered to Hiccup. "Do we interrogate him?"

"Not here," Hiccup replied as the three walked away from the hunter. "I think we should take him back to Dragon's Edge."