Chapter 33: We've been tailed

THUMP.

Kiara's eyes blinked open. Her fuzzy vision cleared and she found herself staring blankly up at a window. Through it, the sky began to lighten with a soft gradient of blue pink and amber that not even the finest brush could replicate.

Dawn?

What was she doing up at dawn? She hadn't wanted to sleep at first, but when she hit the surprisingly comfortable mat, tiredness settled into her bones, weighing them down like an anchor, and making it clear that she would hibernate long and hard and not wake up before the sun itself. She would never do that —not voluntarily.

So what woke her up? At dawn?

Groaning, she rolled over and got to her feet, deciding she didn't care. She might as well use this extra time to work out what to say to Hiccup. How exactly does one go about asking for Ryker's address?

Suddenly, the front door burst inwards, crashing onto the far wall. A deafening rush of wind sent splinters swirling in the house like a swarm of needles, making Kiara dive under her blanket.

Astrid jumped out of bed like a loaded spring, hair bedraggled, eyes wild, and axe already in hand. "WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" she hollered.

Kiara peeked out from beneath the borrowed blanket. "I'm not so sure..."

The two girls edged towards the destroyed entrance, Astrid with her axe raised to strike and Kiara still clutching the blanket. A long shadow stretched into the house, making them suck in a breath. It was followed, however, by a much smaller blue dragon, sniffing the floorboards.

Astrid relaxed and lowered her axe. "Thunderdrum. I'll call Fishlegs over," she said.

Kiara dropped the blanket. "Bumble?"

The dragon looked up and her eyes lit up as she caught sight of Kiara. She roared out the door before running up to Kiara and into her arms. "W-what are you doing here?" Kiara laughed, both shocked and over-joyed as two more thunderdrums bounded in. "All three of you?!" They cawed excitedly as they scurried around and bounced off the walls. "Whoa, whoa! Let's take the excitement outside," said Kiara as many shields got knocked over. She ushered them outside to where Whiplash was sitting with an annoyed expression.

"We've been tailed."

"I noticed."

"You know these guys?" Astrid asked, watching as Kiara tried to keep the thunderdrums in one place. By now the whole island was awake and rushing out of their huts, towards the commotion.

"Yeah. They're from Discovery. They probably followed my scent here." Kiara suddenly gasped. "Is Robbie with you?!" she asked Tumble, startling him. He quickly shook his head. Kiara deflated slightly, then asked, "And Tony?"

The triplets grinned and looked up. Kiara had her answer. She turned to the roof of Astrid's house and saw not just a Thunderdrum, but a nadder too. "Stella as well?" she gawked. They swooped down to Kiara, who rushed over to give them a hug.

Hiccup jogged up beside Astrid, who was staring bug-eyed at the thunderdrum from her roof. "Everything okay?" he asked. "I think," said Astrid, "we just found Thornado."

"Thornado!" Hiccup gasped.

"Thornado?" Kiara asked as Tony and Hiccup practically ran into each other.

Well, that's new.

"After all these years," laughed Hiccup, then looked at the triplets. "Does that mean they're—?"

"Bing, Bam and Lloyd!" Tuffnut shouted, he and Ruff running into the crowd, with Snotlout and Fishlegs following behind.

"You know these guys?" Kiara asked Tumble, who nodded.