Chapter 19: Falling

"Mornin' sweetie!"

"Morning mum," Kiara yawned as she trudged sleepily into their joint kitchen and dining room.

"Since when did you wake up before your brother?"

"She didn't," said Alex, walking up behind her with a smirk, "I had the liberty of waking her up this lovely morning."

"Unfortunately," Kiara grumbled as she pulled a chair and sat down at the table. Her dad was sitting opposite, reading something on his tablet. He looked up and gave Kiara a warm smile, which she returned.

Her attention was pulled away when two arms leaned against her shoulders from behind. "So, how was your beauty sleep? Word's out that you need it," Alex teased, leaning in from behind her.

"Word's out that you need it," Kiara mimicked him in a snotty voice. "At least I didn't resort to plastic surgery."

"How do I sound like anything remotely like that?!"

"You just do."

"And by the way," he said, pushing himself off her back and ruffling his brown hair so that it messed up in all the right places, "these looks are natural."

Kiara groaned and slumped her head on the table. Why couldn't long wavy hair be that easy to live with?

"Head off the table, Kiara," her mum told her as she began to serve steaming pancakes to everyone, "and put that tablet away. Chop chop!"

The delicious scent of pancakes wafted over to Kiara, lifting her head and making her mouth water.

"Mhmm...pancakes! What's the occasion?" Alex asked as his tall skinny figure slipped into the chair beside Kiara.

"Why, your sister's safe return," said mum. Kiara stiffened in her chair, dreading where this conversation was heading.

"Oh, mum, you shouldn't have.." she protested.

"Kiara, you were missing for weeks. What if something happened? What if you didn't come back? You could've starved." Kiara shrunk into her chair, the weight of guilt pulling her down.

"Yeah, we were worried sick, sis. But I guess I should've known that if anyone were to go missing, it would be you," Alex said, lifting the mood a little.

Kiara gave him a playful glare before returning her attention to her mother. "I'm sorry I put you through that, but you need to know that I can and did take care of myself."

"That was the attitude that made you wander off in the first place!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Alex interjected before the two women started an argument, "let's not dwell on the past. How's this, Kiara: Whatever trip you decide to go to next, it has to be one where I can come along with you."

"Like I said," Kiara forced through gritted teeth, "I can take care of myself."

"Don't you think that's reasonable, dad?" Alex continued, completely ignoring Kiara, which only increased her frustration.

"What I think," her dad spoke, his voice deep and strong despite the fact that it was rarely heard, "is that we shouldn't be discussing what Kiara should or shouldn't do." He gripped her shoulder with a strong hand. "We should be celebrating her safe return."