53. No one blames you

A few tendrils of light stretched into the dark corner of the dragon stables. Its faded glow barely reached a thin mattress, a crumpled blanket and a pillow that were strewn across the wooden floorboards. This place was a solitary hideaway that Kiara had claimed for the last two days, not wanting anyone to see her crying herself to sleep. Now she was huddled in the same corner with her knees drawn to her chin and her eyes staring through specs of floating dust. A fog pressed against her mind, constant and numbing, yet strong enough to turn everything around her a few shades greyer. It was always there, even when the pain wasn't, even when her dragons weren't because they had to leave to find food —like now. It was her only companion while she waited for Hiccup to pull together his plan to rescue Heather.

Better be one heck of a plan if it's taking so long...

She frowned at the thought. Maybe Hiccup couldn't focus well. Thornado's death took a toll on everyone.

One of the stable doors creaked open and a jet of morning light split across the length of dark floorboards, shockingly white. There was a fluttering sound that drew closer, and then there was a thump beside Kiara. She only paid it any attention when the terrible terror responsible for the noise nudged against her knee. She tried to wave it away but stopped when she saw the letter tied to its leg.

With a soft sigh, she untied and opened it. Her eyes roamed over the jumble of Viking alphabet. Am I supposed to be bothered to read this? she wondered. Most of the words didn't make sense and were likely misspelt. Then the words 'emergency' and 'urgent' jumped out to her. The fog pulled away as a pit formed in her empty stomach. Her focus sharpened and she managed to make out the letter's instructions about where to go. In the next moment, she stumbled to her feet and rushed out of the stables.

-

The loud clang of a mace hitting a helmet resonated from the twins' hut. Tuffnut let out an annoyed groan. "Don't interrupt my sulking!" he complained before slumping forwards so that he was leaning out of the window.

"Go talk to her!" Ruffnut shouted as she swung her mace again. It struck its target. Tuffnut's teeth clattered together as the helmet's vibrations travelled through him. When he stopped moving enough for his vision to clear, his eyes fixed onto the stables again and he was quiet. Ruff sighed and sat down next to him. "What am I supposed to do when you don't even listen to my very obviously helpful solution to your problem? Huh?"

"What problem?" Tuffnut mumbled, making Ruffnut roll her eyes.

"You said you "don't like seeing her like this"," she explained, deliberately using air quotes and a mopey voice. "Well, then why don't you do something about it?!"

"Your voice was broken for a little there," he snickered, "more than usual. Want me to fix it with a punch to the throat?"

"Tuffnut, don't switch topics."

With a flare of frustration, he turned to face her. "Sister-nut! I can't talk to her!"

"Sure you can." Ruff folded her arms with a confident smirk. "In fact, I called her over right now."

The blood seemed to drain from Tuffnut's face. "You... what?!"

"Sent an emergency terror mail. She'll be here any moment."

"No!" He grabbed his sister by the shoulders and pulled her to her feet. "What have you done?!" Shouting frantically, he shook her by the shoulders. "I don't know what to say! She'll be all miserable and I'll be stupid and I'll make it all worse and —AAH!" He let go, grabbing clumps of his hair instead. "What do I do?!"