45. Meet up

"Ruffnut! Where's Hiccup?!"

Ruffnut screeched and hid the cylindrical object behind her back as she spun to face Kiara. "He just left with Astrid," Ruff said. "They were going to meet up with Heather, remember?"

"I think that's them I see," Whiplash told her rider, "on the horizon."

As they launched into the air, Ruff yelled behind them, "But you weren't even invited!"

"I don't give a damn!" Kiara shouted back as the duo quickly flew too far to be heard. Kiara hadn't put her jacket on and the wind lashed ruthlessly at her. The sun had almost sunk completely below the horizon, its warmth disappearing.

"So, while we're catching up to them," Whiplash said, "was this the first 'still dream' you had since we came here?"

"No. I had a couple where I was just stuck in a box." Kiara shivered, feeling claustrophobic just remembering it. Her dragon purred sympathetically. "Ryker probably kept the crystal in a box. He's given it to Viggo now."

They grew closer, and Kiara could make out Hiccup and Astrid on their dragons. Whiplash let out a roar to grab their attention. They paused, startled, and allowed Whiplash to catch up.

"Kiara?" Astrid asked, "What are you doing?"

"Oh, I.. just wanted to, err.. wanted to talk to you guys, so I tagged along!"

"Well, you might as well," Hiccup said. "You'll need to meet Heather sometime anyway. But this will be a quick meet up; she hasn't much time."

"Um, about Heather," Kiara said as they continued to fly, "isn't she in a lot of danger with all those hunters."

Hiccup's eyes looked downcast and there was a slightly worried look in them that Kiara didn't miss. "She won't let us pull her out of there either way. She won't stop until she gets revenge against Dagur."

Kiara nodded slowly. "I was just thinking, with everything I hear about how smart this Viggo guy is.. he might figure out she's on our side."

"Everything you've heard?" Astrid asked, "from the twins, I suppose?"

Kiara just nodded dumbly, not knowing what to say.

"Don't let them worry you. Heather's a survivor," Astrid said confidently. "She can handle it."

-

Their journey ended and they landed on a large moonlit stack that was part of a random island cluster. Moments later Windshear landed and Heather dismounted.

She's safe, Kiara thought, slightly surprised.

"You sure you weren't followed?" Astrid asked.

"Positive," Heather replied. She looked at Kiara. "Who's this?"

"New recruit," Hiccup said, "Kiara."

"Hello," Kiara greeted.

"Hi." Heather gave her a friendly smile. "Sorry to cut this short." She turned to the older riders as her dragon bounded over to the other dragons. Whiplash backed away uncertainly. "Viggo suspects Ryker and Dagur. He asked me to go with him to capture the flightmare. Me, Windshear and him."

What the heck is a flightmare? Kiara thought, and was the traitor Viggo had referred to not Heather after all? But she held back her questions for later.

"What?" Hiccup asked. "Why would Viggo want the flightmare?"

"Hiccup, you're missing the point," said Heather.