61. The Market

Nighttime took over when the sun quietly slipped beneath the ocean. Riding Toothless, Hiccup was on his way back to Dragon's Edge with the gang in tow. They were returning after freeing several shipments of dragons that they had found by tailing a lone ship with dragon cages after it departed from the Northern Markets. Despite this success, Hiccup wasn't in the mood to celebrate. His mind was elsewhere, as it often was lately.

It had been almost three weeks since he last saw Kiara and there was still no word from Viggo. Ten days in, he had accepted that Viggo wouldn't respond or was purposefully delaying it, so he decided to pour all his energy into striking down the hunter's organisation in every way possible, resulting in many victories, like today's. Any satisfaction gained from this was short-lived because the looming question of "What the heck happened to her?" constantly hung over all the rider's heads.

Arriving at the Edge, the dragons landed in the dome area and their riders slipped off and stretched out their limbs while many of the dragons curled up on the ground. "Great work today, gang," Hiccup said. The sound of snores caught his attention and he glanced over at Snotlout, who had collapsed on Hookfang's wing. "Is Snotlout sleeping?" he asked incredulously.

"I might just join him," Fishlegs said with a yawn.

"I'm not too surprised," said Astrid, "you had us all up at the crack of dawn with your terror mail."

"Telling us to meet you at the northern markets," Ruffnut laughed. "How were you all the way there?"

"At DAWN!" Tuffnut emphasised. "How does that even happen?"

"It just does," Hiccup said with a shrug. Out of nowhere, a terrible terror latched into the top of his head. "Ouch! Ouch! Hair, hair, hair!" he yelled, prying it off. The small dragon had a roll of paper tied to its leg, which Hiccup removed. The terror flew away. Sucking in a breath, he unrolled the paper and read.

A location. A time and tomorrow's date. And the words:

"Remember, come alone.

Signed,
Viggo."

For a man who spoke more eloquently than any Viking Hiccup had met, Viggo really didn't transfer that quality to paper.

"It's Viggo, isn't it?" Astrid asked.

"Yes," he replied, taking a deep breath as he'd just remembered to breathe.

"About time!" Tuffnut hooted.

"I didn't know he knew how to use terror-mail," Hiccup mumbled. He rolled up the paper and nodded to himself. What matters was he would finally get his meeting.

"So you're definitely going?" Astrid asked.

"Yes, he's called me tomorrow morning," he replied, "but I think I should scout out the area first."

"You're kidding." Astrid gaped at him

"No, actually, I'm n—"

"Hiccup! You're exhausted! And just look at Toothless." She pointed to the floor behind him and Hiccup turned to see the nightfury fast asleep.

"Aw, come on bud." He nudged his dragon.

Astrid gave him a hard stare.

"Okay, fine!" Hiccup gave in, raising his palms in surrender. "I'll go tomorrow."

"Good. And I'll come with you," she said firmly.

Hiccup shook his head. "I have to do this alone," he said. "And he'll come alone too."

"And you're certain he'll stick to that? Hiccup, he can't be trusted!"

He held her hand between his two. "I'll be fine, Astrid," he assured her with a faint smile. "Don't worry."