60. Still apart

Viggo Grimborn,

I'd like to call a peaceful meeting. You decide the place and time, though I insist that you pick a time that's soon. Come alone and I will do the same. We need to talk.

Hiccup Haddock.

Hiccup made the letter brief; he needed to have the real conversation face to face, not on paper. Letting Viggo choose the time and place was a necessary sacrifice to make sure the hunter had no reason to back out. Now all that remained was getting the letter to Viggo. Terror mail was out of the question since it would be sentencing the terrible terror to be at the hunters' mercy once it has delivered the message. Luckily, Hiccup knew someone who could help.

Toothless flew over the waters leading to Outcast Island, directed by Hiccup, who knew the trading ship's route lead here around this time. When they spotted the ship, Hiccup made a finger motion and the nightfury sped up, diving towards it.

"Trader Johann!" Hiccup yelled as Toothless landed impactfully on the ship, making it teeter. Johann gasped and grabbed the side of his ship with one hand while his other clutched his chest.

"Master Hiccup!" the gentleman exclaimed, quivering. "While your entrances are quite the spectacle could you relay an early warning of some sort? I daresay, one day my soul won't return to my body after such a fright."

"Ah, sorry." Hiccup walked up to him and Johann straightened.

"No worries," he said cheerfully, then performed a quick theatrical bow and asked, "How may I be of service? I have a new stock of quills and — OH the best spices today! Or would you like your usual assortment of ink?"

"No thanks," Hiccup said, taking out a folded piece of paper. "I have a special request for you."

"Yes, yes?"

"Can you deliver this note to Viggo Grimborn?"

"Viggo Grimborn!" Johann gasped. "The feared and renowned leader of the dragon hunters? Please tell me you are joking."

"I'm not — this message is really important. Can you?" Hiccup pressed.

"But Hiccup, those dragon hunters..." Johann drummed his fingers together anxiously. "They're not the finest of company, to say the least. I... I couldn't."

Toothless growled at his refusal, making him jump.

"Please, Johann," Hiccup said. "You trade with practically anyone. I know you have the means to pull this off, easily too."

"For no sum of money could I go up to such a dangerous man and... and..." The trader trailed off as Hiccup held out a small pouch and jingled the coins inside it. After a moment of hesitation, Johann grabbed the pouch and peeked inside. He sucked in a breath before closing it.

"Very well, master Hiccup," he said, holding on to the rather valuable pouch. "Though I'm in no way comfortable with this..."

"Thank you so much," Hiccup sighed in relief and handed him the paper. "Now, you must get it to him as soon as possible."

"As soon as my sails can take me!"

"Good."

"This will be quite an interesting quest. Reminds me of the time I—"

"Can't listen, gotta run!" Hiccup cut him off with an easy smile as he hopped on Toothless. "See you around," he called back after Toothless took off.

Johann's response was lost to him as the pair sped off and a grim expression fell over Hiccup's face. He wished he could find Kiara as easily as he had found Johann, but when the last place he knew she was... was with Viggo, there is no telling where she could be now. A prisoner? Escaped but dragon-less and unable to return? Or just avoiding the riders completely? No... she wouldn't do that. Wherever she was, Hiccup hoped she was okay.